Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: format lines on a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting format lines on a file Post 302468898 by iga3725 on Thursday 4th of November 2010 05:55:13 AM
Old 11-04-2010
format lines on a file

Hi again:

I have a log file wihch has always this format:
Code:
DATA line 1
     DATA  line 2
^^^^^
     | Spaces or TABs

The first line always begins from the start, but the second begins with spaces or TABs,

Question:
How can I add the second line to the first one?
I mean this:
Code:
DATA line 1 DATA line 2

Thanks
Israel.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:) Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on this.........Let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UTF8 Format file to ANSI format

:confused: Hi i am trying to convert a file which is in UTF8 format to ANSI format i tried to use the function ICONV but it is throwing error Function i used it as $ iconv -f UTF8 -t ANSI filename Error iam getting is NOT Supported UTF8 to ANSI please some help me out on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajreddy
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert multi format file to a readable ascii format

Hi I have a file which has ascii , binary, binary decimal coded,decimal & hexadecimal data with lot of special characters (like öƒ.ƒ.„İİ¡Š·œƒ.„İİ¡Š· ) in it. I want to standardize the file into ASCII format & later use that as source . Can any one suggest a way a logic to convert such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format data in new lines

Hi All, I have data in the following format. Australia,"CISCO877-SEC-K9 CISCO1841-ADSL CISCO2821" Australia,"CISCO877-SEC-K9 CISCO1841-ADSL CISCO2821" Austria,"CISCO871-K9 CISCO1841 CISCO1841-SEC/K9 CISCO1812/K9" Austria,"CISCO1841-SEC/K9 CISCO1812/K9" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to print lines contains particular string format in a file

Hi, I want to print the lines in a file that matches particular string format using shell scripting. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing lines in the file & format output.

Hi All, I need read the file and out put format as below using ksh, I wrote below script its keep on repeating first line in the file. may i know the best way to get the below out put while incrementing line in the file. cat b.txt |awk '{print $0}' |while read line do aa=`cat $line |head -1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to display lines in a file in a particular format

I have a bunch of files in various folders. I want to go through each of them and display certain lines in a particular format All files have a similar format Date: Time: User: Message: Miscellaneous: (and some other stuff)I want to display to only the "Date:", "Time:" "User:" lines in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbiegal01
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to count blank lines in a file in DOS format

Hi Team, The content of the file is as follows. asdf 234 asdf asdf dsfg gh 67 78 The file is in DOS format (not in Unix Format). The file is transferred to Unix. I need a unix command to check the number of blank lines in a input (comming from Windows). If it is greater than... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify lines with wrong format in a file and fix

Gurus, I have a data file which has a certain number of columns say 101. It has one description column which contains foreign characters and due to this some times, those special characters are translated to new line character and resulting in failing the process. I am using the following awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumsri
4 Replies
Graph(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Graph(3pm)

NAME
SVG::Graph - Visualize your data in Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format. SYNOPSIS
use SVG::Graph; use SVG::Graph::Data; use SVG::Graph::Data::Datum; #create a new SVG document to plot in... my $graph = SVG::Graph->new(width=>600,height=>600,margin=>30); #and create a frame to hold the data/glyphs my $frame = $graph->add_frame; #let's plot y = x^2 my @data = map {SVG::Graph::Data::Datum->new(x=>$_,y=>$_^2)} (1,2,3,4,5); my $data = SVG::Graph::Data->new(data => @data); #put the xy data into the frame $frame->add_data($data); #add some glyphs to apply to the data in the frame $frame->add_glyph('axis', #add an axis glyph 'x_absolute_ticks' => 1, #with ticks every one #unit on the x axis 'y_absolute_ticks' => 1, #and ticks every one #unit on the y axis 'stroke' => 'black', #draw the axis black 'stroke-width' => 2, #and 2px thick ); $frame->add_glyph('scatter', #add a scatterplot glyph 'stroke' => 'red', #the dots will be outlined #in red, 'fill' => 'red', #filled red, 'fill-opacity' => 0.5, #and 50% opaque ); #print the graphic print $graph->draw; DESCRIPTION
SVG::Graph is a suite of perl modules for plotting data. SVG::Graph currently supports plots of one-, two- and three-dimensional data, as well as N-ary rooted trees. Data may be represented as: Glyph Name Dimensionality supported 1d 2d 3d tree -------------------------------------------------------- Axis x Bar Graph x Bubble Plot x Heatmap Graph x Line Graph x Pie Graph x Scatter Plot x Spline Graph x Tree x SVG::Graph 0.02 is a pre-alpha release. Keep in mind that many of the glyphs are not very robust. PLOTTING
You need to create a SVG::Graph::Frame instance from the parent SVG::Graph instance for each set of data to be plotted. Datasets can be hierarchical, and to represent this, SVG::Graph::Frame instances can themselves contain subframes. SVG::Graph::Frame can contain: - multiple subframes as instances of SVG::Graph::Frame - a single SVG::Graph::Data instance - multiple SVG::Graph::Glyph instances with which to render the attached SVG::Graph::Data instance, and all SVG::Graph::Data instances attached to SVG::Graph::Frame subinstances See SVG::Graph::Frame and SVG::Graph::Glyph for details. ONE DATA SET 1. create an SVG::Graph instance 2. create an SVG::Graph::Frame instance by calling SVG::Graph::add_frame(); 3. create an SVG::Graph::Data instance, containing an SVG::Graph::Data::Datum instance for each data point. 4. Attach the SVG::Graph::Data instance to your SVG::Graph::Frame using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_data(); 5. Attach glyphs to the SVG::Graph::Frame instance using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_glyph(); 6. Call SVG::Graph::draw(); MULTIPLE DATA SETS 1. create an SVG::Graph instance 2. create an SVG::Graph::Frame instance by calling SVG::Graph::add_frame(); 3. create an SVG::Graph::Data instance, containing an SVG::Graph::Data::Datum instance for each data point. 4. Attach the SVG::Graph::Data instance to your SVG::Graph::Frame using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_data(); 5. Attach glyphs to the SVG::Graph::Frame instance using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_glyph(); 6. repeat [2-5] for each additional data set to be added. add_frame() can be called on SVG::Graph to add top-level data sets, or SVG::Graph::Frame to add hierarchical data sets. 7. Call SVG::Graph::draw(); FEEDBACK
Send an email to the svg-graph-developers list. For more info, visit the project page at http://www.sf.net/projects/svg-graph AUTHORS
Allen Day, <allenday@ucla.edu> Chris To, <crsto@ucla.edu> CONTRIBUTORS
James Chen, <chenj@seas.ucla.edu> Brian O'Connor, <boconnor@ucla.edu> SEE ALSO
SVG METHODS
new Title : new Usage : my $graph = SVG::Graph->new(width=>600, height=>600, margin=>20); Function: creates a new SVG::Graph object Returns : a SVG::Graph object Args : width => the width of the SVG height => the height of the SVG margin => margin for the root frame init Title : init Usage : Function: Example : Returns : Args : width Title : width Usage : $obj->width($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of width (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) height Title : height Usage : $obj->height($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of height (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) margin Title : margin Usage : $obj->margin($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of margin (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) svg Title : svg Usage : $obj->svg($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of svg (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) add_frame Title : add_frame Usage : my $frame = $graph->add_frame Function: adds a Frame to the current Graph Returns : a SVG::Graph::Frame object Args : a hash. usable keys: frame_transform (optional) 'top' default orientation 'bottom' rotates graph 180 deg (about the center) 'right' points top position towards right 'left' points top position towards left frames Title : frames Usage : get/set Function: Example : Returns : Args : xoffset Title : xoffset Usage : $obj->xoffset($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of xoffset (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) yoffset Title : yoffset Usage : $obj->yoffset($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of yoffset (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) draw Title : draw Usage : $graph=>draw Function: depends on child glyph implementations Returns : xmlifyied SVG object Args : none perl v5.10.0 2009-01-07 Graph(3pm)