Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounting a disk clone
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Mounting a disk clone Post 302468610 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 10:28:50 AM
Old 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g
If it is a loopback filesystem, such as an ISO or dump (dd, or such) of a file system, he can mount it.
Yes, hence why I asked for a 'fdisk -ul' readout.

It's already been described as a whole disk though -- so it's almost certainly not a filesystem. If it's a plain raw dump he could use offset-tricks to mount partitions in it, otherwise he'll need to convert it somehow first.

---------- Post updated at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
You can then use dcfldd skip=start_sector count=lenght bs=512 to extract the logical partition from the physical image.
You can mount part of a file as a partition when mounting in linux with -o loop. Wish I'd known that years ago, could have done that instead of making a vmware virtual machine.

Code:
mount -o loop,ro,offset=offset-in-bytes,sizelimit=length-in-bytes -t filesystemtype ./huge-wad-of-partitions.img

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Clone disk for Sun Blade 2000

Hai ......... my name Rio, I want to clone my harddisk at Sun Balade 2000 server with Solaris 8 OS, my question is : a. what kind method for making backup or clonning disk ? b. what method more easier , quick but still reliable ? c. how to proceed it ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rioria
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

4. SCO

Clone hard disk using Ghost

Hi. We tried cloning a SCO Unix hard disk using Norton Ghost. However, the new cloned hard disk encounter booting problem. What possibly go wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mizan
1 Replies

5. SCO

Hard disk clone of OpenServer 5.0.0 didn't work, why?

Continuing saga of working on making a retail store more robust by creating a backup clone of the main server, a 1995 era :eek: PC running SCO OpenServer 5.0.0b and a discontinued Point of Sales (POS) software system. I have a PC of the same make and model. The CPU runs faster and it has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt10
5 Replies

6. AIX

Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks, I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Need to Clone Solaris OS to another disk

Hi, I am trying to clone the hard disk image of Solaris OS on one disk to another disk. After some googling I found that there is a command "dd" to achieve this. However there is a condition to use the dd command, that the disk geometry of both the disks (source and target disks) should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajujayanthy
5 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-l] [--type TYPE] [--nr M-N] [partition] disk DESCRIPTION
Given a block device ( disk ) and a partition table type , try to parse the partition table, and list the contents. Optionally add or remove partitions. This is not an fdisk - adding and removing partitions is not a change of the disk, but just telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a add specified partitions or read disk and add all partitions -d delete specified or all partitions -l list partitions. Note that the all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. --type TYPE Specify the partition type -- dos, bsd, solaris, unixware or gpt. --nr M-N Specify the range of partitions (e.g --nr 2-4). SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 11 Jan 2007 PARTX(8)