Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: why Cron behaves different ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why Cron behaves different ? Post 302468566 by Scott on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 07:28:45 AM
Old 11-03-2010
You assume that cron will nicely cd to the directory where your script is?

The script will run from your home directory, and is run as specified in your crontab.

i.e.
Code:
$HOME/Narayana/script.ksh

$0 is the path to the script.

Code:
echo "Narayana" >$HOME/script.log
echo ${0##*/} >>$HOME/script.log

Another option is to do the cd in your cron definition:

Code:
* * * * * cd $HOME/Narayana; sh -x script.ksh 2> /tmp/script_cron.log >&2

Last edited by Scott; 11-03-2010 at 08:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script behaves different when run from cron vs. manually

Hey all, Just wanted to get some input on a script I am using to import files into a MySQL database. The process is pretty simple: my main server exports these files and FTPs them. I have a script that FTPs them to the machine running that runs this script. The FTP script runs without issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billtwild
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mpack behaves abnormally

Hi, I was using mpack to send mails using cronjob with attachments. It was working perfect. But recently it's behaving strangely. Its sending the mails without any error message but the mail is not getting delivered. The code I was using: /usr/local/bin/mpack -s "$SUBJECT" -d $MSGBODY... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itesh.dash
0 Replies

3. AIX

Command behaves different in script and on prompt

$cat /tmp/tuxob.lst udi ***** jim 10 ant 19 ibm ***** $ input=`head -1 /tmp/tuxob.lst | awk '{print $NF}'` $ echo $input The output I am expecting is '*****'. But It is showing me the available files of current directory. When I run the command head -1 /tmp/tuxob.lst | awk '{print $NF} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Functions defined in header / cpp file behaves different

File: A.h class A { public: struct x X; int show() { x.member_variable ? 0: -1; } }; Now if A.cpp is complied which includes A.h (which is actually in a huge project space) we see that x.member_variable value is not as expected. But if remove the show() method and place... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a script from CRON behaves differently than terminal

Hi have a script which transferers from Microsoft server to Linux box. The scripts(ksh) is on Linux box. If I run script from terminal, it transfers files to directory. Where as If I run script from CRON. It does not. Here is the log of both: Terminal execution log:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

su - user -c 'command' behaves differently

I notice that su - user (note with dash) brings in more of the user's environment than does su - user -c 'command'. For example, if root does an su - user, and types "umask" to the prompt, one umask is displayed; yet, if instead the command is su - user -c 'umask', the value is different. I thought... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drokerm
2 Replies

7. Linux

Does a network switch behaves as webserver

Hi, I have a question on web servers and network switches. Why a network switch should support certificate management, that means generating public and private keys... installing a certificate etcetra. Regards Chaitanya. :b: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitus.28
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep behaves diffrent upon printf or echo output

Hello I want to check whether certain arguments were passed to the script, and when those are, not doing a log entry. If those arguments are not passed, always do a log entry (*new call*). What currently i have is this: echo "${@}"|grep -q \\- || \ tui-log -e "$LOG" "\r---- New call $$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy-pasted code behaves diffrent

Heyas I'm currently attempting to apply the code of tui-select to tui-list. That is because tui-list simply made a 1 string list, while tui-select uses dynamicly up to 3 strings per line. Anyway, so i copy pasted the code, and just made the changes marked with red.... Know that both scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

'Connect' behaves differently on Solaris 11

Our application fails to run successfully on Solaris 11. The same works fine in Solaris 10. Due to which we are unable to migrate to Solaris 11. The app basically involves forking a child process, which finally connects with parent process. But on Solaris 11, it is unable to connect with parent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wini008
0 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)