Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find + printf help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find + printf help Post 302468458 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 07:27:20 PM
Old 11-02-2010
If you do a man find, you'll notice that in order to print you need to use %p and terminate with a newline. printf is a GNU find only extension. You can accomplish the same thing with -exec , which will work with any find command. Hold on .. this should be in the homework forum Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf format

hi, i would like to extract the header and put it in a variable, then use printf to output the variable, but i keep on getting errors...please tell me if my format is incorrect. HDR = "`ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,pcpu,stime,etime,time,comm | head -n 1`" printf (%s, $HDR); thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

3. Programming

printf

What is the output of the following program considering an x86 based parameter passing sequence where stack grows towards lower memory addresses and that arguments are evaluated from right to left: int i=10; int f1() { static int i = 15; printf("f1:%d ", i); return i--; } main() {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf

How to print output in following format? A..................ok AA................ok AAA..............ok AAAAAA........ok "ok" one under one (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf / regex

Morning folks, I need help with the following issue: Let's say we I have the following output: First Name: Test Last Name: Test2 Number: T1234 Number2: T1234 Needed Output: T1234 Now I want to grep/nawk/printf/sed out the Number: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with printf

Hi, I have just completed my first script (:D) and now i just need to format it with printf. This is what I have: #!/bin/ksh TOTB=0 TOTF=0 TOTI=0 HOST=`hostname` echo " FSYSTEM BLKS FREE INUSE MOUNTEDON" df -m | grep -v ":"|grep -v Free|grep -v "/proc"| while read FSYSTEM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compan023
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The meaning of %s in printf

I have this command like that has %s in it, I know %s calls a column, but I am not sure I understand which column (I mean for my case I can check the input file, but I want to know how is this %s used, how comes tha same symbo; gives different columns in one command line: {printf "grep %s... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using printf in bash

printf "%5.5\n" "1234567890" will print 12345 . How do I get it to print 67890 Essentially, I just want the last 5 characters rather than the first 5. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavender
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need find package that supports printf on AIX

My current find command does not support printf. I need find package that supports printf on AiX 6.1 system. Can anyone help me with the download link or where / how / if I can find it ? Can it be installed at a different non default location so that it can be reference without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
PRINTF(1)							   User Commands							 PRINTF(1)

NAME
printf - format and print data SYNOPSIS
printf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]... printf OPTION DESCRIPTION
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION: --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are: " double quote NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) uHHHH Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits) UHHHHHHHH Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits) %% a single % %b ARGUMENT as a string with `' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form or NNN and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are han- dled. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report printf bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
printf(3) The full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'printf invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 PRINTF(1)