Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find + printf help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find + printf help Post 302468453 by danschmidt on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 07:11:12 PM
Old 11-02-2010
find + printf help

Hi, I have a scripting assignment for an intro to linux class and I'm really confused about how to do something seemingly simple.

I am supposed to Print the name of each file in the /data/dir16/subdir1 directory in the following format: "My name is: bin"

The desired output example looks like:
My name is: /data/dir16/dir1/testfile1
My name is: /data/dir16/dir1/testfile2
so on...

So first question is, am I on the right track in thinking I am supposed to use the find and printf combination?

Right now, all I've tried is various combinations of find /data/dir16/dir1 printf "My name is:" which just produces 13 instances of "My name is:".

How do I append the filenames to the end of the "My name is" string?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf format

hi, i would like to extract the header and put it in a variable, then use printf to output the variable, but i keep on getting errors...please tell me if my format is incorrect. HDR = "`ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,pcpu,stime,etime,time,comm | head -n 1`" printf (%s, $HDR); thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: problems escaping printf-command string

Hi Folks! Can you help me with this find -printf command. I seem to be unable to execute the printf-command from my shell script. I'm confused: :confused: My shell script snippet looks like this: #!/bin/sh .. COMMAND="find ./* -printf '%p %m %s %u %g \n'" echo "Command: ${COMMAND}"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamb
1 Replies

3. Programming

printf

What is the output of the following program considering an x86 based parameter passing sequence where stack grows towards lower memory addresses and that arguments are evaluated from right to left: int i=10; int f1() { static int i = 15; printf("f1:%d ", i); return i--; } main() {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf

How to print output in following format? A..................ok AA................ok AAA..............ok AAAAAA........ok "ok" one under one (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf / regex

Morning folks, I need help with the following issue: Let's say we I have the following output: First Name: Test Last Name: Test2 Number: T1234 Number2: T1234 Needed Output: T1234 Now I want to grep/nawk/printf/sed out the Number: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with printf

Hi, I have just completed my first script (:D) and now i just need to format it with printf. This is what I have: #!/bin/ksh TOTB=0 TOTF=0 TOTI=0 HOST=`hostname` echo " FSYSTEM BLKS FREE INUSE MOUNTEDON" df -m | grep -v ":"|grep -v Free|grep -v "/proc"| while read FSYSTEM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compan023
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The meaning of %s in printf

I have this command like that has %s in it, I know %s calls a column, but I am not sure I understand which column (I mean for my case I can check the input file, but I want to know how is this %s used, how comes tha same symbo; gives different columns in one command line: {printf "grep %s... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using printf in bash

printf "%5.5\n" "1234567890" will print 12345 . How do I get it to print 67890 Essentially, I just want the last 5 characters rather than the first 5. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavender
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need find package that supports printf on AIX

My current find command does not support printf. I need find package that supports printf on AiX 6.1 system. Can anyone help me with the download link or where / how / if I can find it ? Can it be installed at a different non default location so that it can be reference without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
fatsort(1)						      General Commands Manual							fatsort(1)

NAME
FATSort - FAT filesystem sorting utility SYNOPSIS
fatsort [options] device DESCRIPTION
FATsort sorts directory structures of FAT filesystems. Many MP3 hardware players don't sort files automatically but play them in the order they were transmitted to the device. FATSort can help here. OPTIONS
-c This option causes FATSort to ignore the case of filenames (e.g. 'example.mp3' is equal to 'EXAMPLE.MP3'). -f Force sorting even if the device is mounted or if FATSort cannot determine if the device is mounted. -h Shows some help information. -i Prints some file system information of the specified device. -l FATSort will not sort directory structures, but just print the current order. -o type This options specifies how FATSort will sort files and directories. type can be 'd' for directories before files (which is the default), 'f' for files before directories, or 'a' for no differentiation between files and directories. -n Uses natural order to sort directory structures instead of alphanumeric order. For example, an alphanumeric order would be file123.mp3 file21.mp3 file3.mp3 and the corresponding natural order would be file3.mp3 file21.mp3 file123.mp3. -q FATSort will work quietly without printing additional information messages. -r Sorts the directories in reverse order (Z-A). -R Sorts the directories in random order. -v Shows version information only. The following options can be specified multiple times: -d directory Sort directory only -D directory Sort directory and all subdirectories -x directory Don't sort directory -X directory Don't sort directory and all subdirectories -I prefix Ignore filename prefix prefix during sorting. For example, passing option -I "the " tells FATSort to sort 'The Beatles.mp3' like 'Beatles.mp3'. EXAMPLES
Sort FAT filesystem on an USB stick: fatsort /dev/sda1 Sort FAT filesystem in a file: fatsort /home/user/fat16_fs.img Sort directory /dir1 and all subdirectories except /dir1/dirA: fatsort /dev/sda1 -D /dir1 -x /dir1/dirA Ignore prefixes 'a ' and 'the ' during sorting: fatsort /dev/sda1 -I "a " -I "the " AUTHOR
Boris Leidner <fatsort(at)formenos.de> SEE ALSO
mount(8) fsck(8) NOTES
FAT12 is not supported yet. REPORT BUGS
Please report bugs to fatsort(at)formenos.de. Thanks. FATSort 0.9.15 2011 fatsort(1)