Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk command to split file name Post 302468423 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 05:04:10 PM
Old 11-02-2010
Code:
find ./ -name "access.*" -mtime +10 -exec gzip {} \;

or
Code:
ls -t access.* | tail +11 | xargs gzip

You should find the script that generate those files instead of try to parse them : $(date '+%Y%m%d') would be a better date format choice for naming such daily files

Code:
# fname=access.2Nov-12:15AM
# for i in $(echo "$fname" | sed 's/\(access\).\([0-9][0-9]*\)\([JFMASOND][a-z][a-z]\)-\([0-9][0-9]*\):\([0-9][0-9]*\)\([AP]M\)$/\1 \2 \3 \4 \5 \6/')
> do
> let j++
> fname[$j]=$i
> done
# echo ${fname[1]}
access
# echo ${fname[2]}
# echo ${fname[3]}
Nov
# echo ${fname[4]}
# echo ${fname[5]}
# echo ${fname[6]}
AM
#

in ksh :
Code:
# fname="access.2Nov-12:15AM"
# echo "$fname" | sed 's/\(access\).\([0-9][0-9]*\)\([JFMASOND][a-z][a-z]\)-\([0-9][0-9]*\):\([0-9][0-9]*\)\([AP]M\)$/\1 \2 \3 \4 \5 \6/' | read a b c d e f
# echo "nam=$a day=$b mon=$c hr=$d min=$e last=$f"
nam=access day=2 mon=Nov hr=12 min=15 last=AM
#

Last edited by ctsgnb; 11-02-2010 at 06:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to split in to 2 files

Hi, I have a problem in grepping a file for 2 strings and writing them to 2 appropriate files. I need to use the awk command and read the file only once and write to the appropriate file. My file is very huge in size and it is taking a long time using cat command and grep command. Can anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_subra_mani
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File by Pattern with File Names in Source File... Awk?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Shell scripting and I need some help to split a source text file into multiple files. The source has a row with pattern where the file needs to be split, and the pattern row also contains the file name of the destination for that specific piece. Here is an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8er
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk in perl with split command

Hi, I have an array with following data. First field shows the owner and second is unique name. Now i have to pic the latest value with respect to the date in case of duplicate. like "def" is from two owners "rahul/vineet", now i want the latest from the two and the owner name also for all the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineet.dhingra
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file using awk command.

awk 'FNR == 1 { c = 1 } { print > (f c) } !FNR%n { close(f c); ++c }' n=$files_per_stream f=$input_path/filename_ $input_file $input_file with some records are splitted into files named filename_1,filename_2...etc according to $files_per_stream. Plz help me know how and if anyone has... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptam
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to split awk command

Hi, There is an awk command in script and it is running successfully. I want to split that command in 2 lines. I have tried using '\' but its not working.. Please suggest me the solution. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanket Dalvi
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file split

Hi all, First of all I' like to mention that I'm pretty new to unix scripting. :( I'm trying to split an large xml with awk and rename it based on the values of two attributes. Example XML <RECORD> <element1>11</element1> <element2>22</element2> <element3>33</element3>... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: f0usk4s
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split command to get the desired result

Dear all, I am using the awk 'split' command to get the particular value. FILE=InputFile_009_0.txt Temp=$(echo $FILE | awk '{split($FILE, a, "e_"); print a}') I would like to have the Temp take the value as : _009_0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and awk calculation in the same command

I am trying to run the awk below. My question is when I split the input, then run anotherawk to perform a calculation using that splitas the input there are no issues. When I try to combine them the output is not correct, is the split not working or did I do it wrong? Thank you :). input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command to split pipe delimited file

Hello, I need to split a pipe de-limited file based on the COLUMN 7 value . If the column value changes I need to split the file Source File Payment|ID|DATE|TIME|CONTROLNUMBER|NUMBER|NAME|INDICATOR 42156974|1137937|10/1/2018|104440|4232|2054391|CARE|1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
9 Replies
mcxalter(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						       mcxalter(1)

NAME
      mcxalter - various network transformations

SYNOPSIS
      mcxalter [-imx <fname> (specify matrix input)] [-abc <fname> (specify label input)] [-tab <fname> (use tab file)] [-o <fname> (output)] [-tf
      spec (apply tf-spec to input matrix)]

DESCRIPTION
      This utility supplies various transformations of networks.

OPTIONS
      -abc <fname> (label input)
	The file name for input that is in label format.

-imx <fname> (input matrix)
	The file name for input that is in mcl native matrix format.

-tab <fname> (use tab file)
	This option causes the output to be printed with the labels found in the tab file.  With -abc this option will, additionally, construct  a
	graph  only on the labels found in the tab file.  If this option is used in conjunction with -imx the tab domain and the matrix domain are
	required to be identical.

-tf <tf-spec> (transform input matrix values)
	Transform the input matrix values according to the syntax described in mcxio(5).

-o fname (output file)
	Output file.

AUTHOR
      Stijn van Dongen.

SEE ALSO
      mcxio(5), mcx(1), mcxsubs(1), and mclfamily(7) for an overview of all the documentation and the utilities in the mcl family.

mcxalter 12-068						      8 Mar 2012							 mcxalter(1)