Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed question from novice
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed question from novice Post 302468206 by malts18 on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 04:40:40 AM
Old 11-02-2010
sed question from novice

thanks sanjay and franklin52 : the syntax from franklin52 works great. I thought I would try to write a script to prompt the user to enter both the input & output filenames at run time, and came up with :
Code:
echo 'Enter input file : \c'
read f1
echo 'Enter output file: \c'
read f2
sh sedfile < [f1] > [f2]

where sedfile is a file containing the syntax provided yesterday.
But the above doesn't recognise [f1].

Any further advice on how to handle this would be most grateful.

Last edited by Scott; 11-02-2010 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Question From a Novice

HELLO GUYS, How u all guys doing?Recently I brought a system and installed Red Hat Linux in it. I have also got a network card. My question is can i connect NIC to my system and use it as a client? I really don't want to buy another system. I want to use this computer/system both as server and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
0 Replies

2. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

3. Linux

Hi I M Novice User

hi everyone i m a novice user . just want to know how to use this website and also learn unix from the basics. can any one help me please.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem for novice

Hi, I am observing a problem wiht my script. I tokk that part and executed from the command prompt. Below is the command the error. CAn any one suggest what should be done here. if ($cnt -lt $maxcnt) then echo deepu fi ksh: 0: not found Thanks in advance (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaksamuel
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting-Need help-NOVICE -PLEASE HELP

I really want to get into unix scripting,work with RS6000 -AIX. How do i get started,what books are good for beginners,i am very desperate I have no programming background but ready to scrafice all my time in learning .please help. PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE ,HELP.... Any advice will realy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanaman
2 Replies

6. Solaris

New to solaris (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and have a few questions regarding it: 1) is the solaris of free to use/download? if yes where? 2) Can the solaris o/s be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux can? 3) what are the hardware requirements for using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new214
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NEW to Unix (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and unix and i just have the following qustions 1) is the solaris o/s the same as Unix if not how are they different - i.e. are they different operating systems? 2) Can the Unix be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new214
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a little script - novice

I am just learning unix and need some help. I am trying to display all of the files I have modified within the last 24 hours and sort them from the most recently modified. I can't figure it out.. I've been using a lot of ls and find commands. Here are some things I've tried: find . -mtime -1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mredwin3
4 Replies

9. Programming

Novice in C needs help

Guys can you help me ? I'm novice in C but I have a lot of will to master C. Each gurney starts with first step O.K. My problem is to compare two integers entered by user I know how to set up conditions and problem is how to print correct value (grater number) // This program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED problem - Novice question

Hi, Need some help with a sed command I have butchered together (with help from this forum): I have a script that has the following output (a small example of the full file): example.txt 092F 1639163_Cluster01_Prod 0522 1639163_Cluster02_Prod 08C2 1639163_Cluster07_Prod 0957... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinwilson1303
2 Replies
IO::All::FTP(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 IO::All::FTP(3pm)

NAME
IO::All::FTP - Extends IO::All to FTP URLs SYNOPSIS
use IO::All; "hello world " > io('ftp://localhost/test/x'); # save to FTP io('ftp//example.org/pub/xyz') > io('xyz'); # GET to file # two ways of getting a file with a password: $content < io('ftp://me:secret@example.org/xyz'); $content < io('ftp://example.org/xyz')->user('me')->password('secret'); DESCRIPTION
This module extends IO::All for dealing with FTP URLs. Note that you don't need to use it explicitly, as it is autoloaded by IO::All whenever it sees something that looks like an FTP URL. METHODS
This is a subclass of IO::All::LWP. The only new method is "ftp", which can be used to create a blank IO::All::FTP object; or it can also take an FTP URL as a parameter. Note that in most cases it is simpler just to call io('ftp//example.com'), which calls the "ftp" method automatically. OPERATOR OVERLOADING
The same operators from IO::All may be used. < GETs an FTP URL; > PUTs to an FTP URL. SEE ALSO
IO::All::LWP, IO::All, LWP. AUTHORS
Ivan Tubert-Brohman <itub@cpan.org> and Brian Ingerson <ingy@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007. Ivan Tubert-Brohman and Brian Ingerson. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.10.0 2007-03-29 IO::All::FTP(3pm)