Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming pthread_mutex_lock in ANSI C vs using Atomic builtins of GCC Post 302467926 by Loic Domaigne on Monday 1st of November 2010 02:42:03 AM
Old 11-01-2010
Hi!

using pthreads synchronisation object (like mutex, read-write locks...) does more than just a simple "atomic access". It actually ensures proper memory visibility using appropriate memory barriers. Refer for instance to this article.

Cheers,
Loïc

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert file from Unix - ANSI to PC - ANSI

Hi, I am creating a file in Unix using a shell script. The file is getting created in the Unix - ANSI format. My requirement is to convert it to the PC - ANSI format. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks, Sunil (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmallya
0 Replies

2. Programming

pthread_rwlock_lock vs pthread_mutex_lock

I have been wondering what the difference between pthread_rwlock_lock and pthread_mutex_lock is. Both these routines acquire an exclusive rw lock on an enclosed region. So I performed a simple experiment in which I execute both these routines multiple times in a loop. Here are the results:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmehta
1 Replies

3. Programming

Interesting issue with pthread_mutex_lock and siglongjmp in AIX 5.3 (and no other OS)

Executive summary: Code (posted below) cores in AIX 5.3, despite being compiled and run successfully on several other operating systems. Code is attempting to verify that pthread_mutex_lock can be successfully aborted by siglongjmp. I do not believe this is an unreasonable requirement. If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

program name and function name builtins

Hi Is there a way to get the program/script name or function name usng built ins. Like in many languages arg holds the program name regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

5. Programming

why the implementatoin of Bakery algorithm in ANSI C does not work in ANSI C

I follow the description of wiki (Lamport's bakery algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), then implement that algorithm in C, but it doesn't work, Starving is still here, is the implementation worry? Only print out: Thread ID: 0 START! Thread ID: 0 END! Thread ID: 0 START!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Writing Custom Builtins for KSH93

I am looking to create some ksh93 extensions using the custom builtin feature. I can successfully create a builtin function, load it using the builtin -f command and get an output. However, I want to get/set values of KSH variables from within my built-in. For example, lets say I am creating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_programmer
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does /bin contain binaries for builtins?

Why do shell builtins like echo and pwd have binaries in /bin? When I do which pwd, I get the one in /bin. that means that I am not using the builtin version? What determines which one gets used? Is the which command a definitive way to determine what is being run when I enter pwd? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
16 Replies

8. Programming

Using ANSI color codes in gcc compiled program

I have put some yellow color codes and works well. I call the funstion using print_usage(stderr, 0); I would like to know if there is any way, to store the ansi color codes in variables and then call them inside fprintf. Or have a format followed by the strings I want to output. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell and bash builtins...

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have collated a listing of shell and bash builtins. Builtins is a loose word and may include the '/bin' drawer/folder/directory but NOT any others in the path list. In the case of my Macbook Pro, OSX 10.7.5 the enabled internals is also listed... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
atomic_ops(3C)															    atomic_ops(3C)

NAME
atomic_ops - atomic operations SYNOPSIS
#include <atomic.h> This collection of functions provides atomic memory operations. There are 8 different classes of atomic operations: atomic_add(3C) These functions provide an atomic addition of a signed value to a variable. atomic_and(3C) These functions provide an atomic logical 'and' of a value to a variable. atomic_bits(3C) These functions provide atomic bit setting and clearing within a variable. atomic_cas(3C) These functions provide an atomic comparison of a value with a variable. If the comparison is equal, then swap in a new value for the variable, returning the old value of the variable in either case. atomic_dec(3C) These functions provide an atomic decrement on a variable. atomic_inc(3C) These functions provide an atomic increment on a variable. atomic_or(3C) These functions provide an atomic logical 'or' of a value to a variable. atomic_swap(3C) These functions provide an atomic swap of a value with a variable, returning the old value of the variable. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ atomic_add(3C), atomic_and(3C), atomic_bits(3C), atomic_cas(3C), atomic_dec(3C), atomic_inc(3C), atomic_or(3C), atomic_swap(3C), mem- bar_ops(3C), attributes(5) Atomic instructions ensure global visibility of atomically-modified variables on completion. In a relaxed store order system, this does not guarantee that the visibility of other variables will be synchronized with the completion of the atomic instruction. If such synchro- nization is required, memory barrier instructions must be used. See membar_ops(3C). Atomic instructions can be expensive. since they require synchronization to occur at a hardware level. This means they should be used with care to ensure that forcing hardware level synchronization occurs a minimum number of times. For example, if you have several variables that need to be incremented as a group, and each needs to be done atomically, then do so with a mutex lock protecting all of them being incremented rather than using the atomic_inc(3C) operation on each of them. 12 Aug 2004 atomic_ops(3C)