Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Determining file access perms for current process Post 302467878 by DreamWarrior on Sunday 31st of October 2010 09:38:06 PM
Old 10-31-2010
Yes, thanks. I'm amazed I've never needed this call before, but it does exactly what I need and I'm glad I don't have to resort to doing myself with stat.

Thanks y'all...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

to find current running process

Hi All, The scenario is like this: There is a process say "A" which create a child process say "B" if some condition is true and process "A" terminates. "B" invokes some C program say "C" using 'execl' function. The job of program "C" is to keep polling the server until the server will be up.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjkuma692
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

current running process in shell

hi what is the shell programming code to know the number of processes currently running on the machine & information about those processes. Another one is the configuration and usage of the UNIX file system? requesting all for help. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moco
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current user process

When I typed in ps -a I get this: PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866 pts/3 00:00:00 vim And to check who is currently logged in, I type who Felix Whoals Tada Whoals Lala Whoals How can I get the user process for all current users who logged in?? I think I need to combine... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current Process Running.

Hi all, When I issued command ps -ef|grep Vinay in a UNIX machine, I got the following Vinay 22491 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294248:53 -sh Vinay 26628 1 255 Jun 18 ? 294237:33 -sh Could you tell me what all process is running ? Please explain each of the fields. Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbhai
4 Replies

5. Solaris

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories

Hello root@ne-ocadev-1:/root/scripts>su espos -c find /a35vol100/ESPOS/oracle/db/9.2.0/oradata/ESPOS/archive -type f -atime +10 -exec ls {} shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Permission denied find: insufficient number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: babu.knb
6 Replies

6. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining interface to access IP

Hello I've got a server with multiple NICS. In a script I want to log the outbound interface. Is there an easy way I can do this so that the output looks something like this: host(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): Opening connection to ... Obviously, getting the host is simple with hostname. But how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to access current user's mailbox.

In any non-root account, whenever I enter mail, it gives me: /var/spool/mail/root: Permission deniedI am not logged in as root, why is mail accessing root's mailbox ? I am unable to enter the currently logged in user's mailbox. Any help is appreciated :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies
CHDIR(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  CHDIR(2)

NAME
chdir, fchdir -- change current working directory LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chdir(const char *path); int fchdir(int fd); DESCRIPTION
The path argument points to the pathname of a directory. The chdir() function causes the named directory to become the current working directory, that is, the starting point for path searches of pathnames not beginning with a slash, '/'. The fchdir() function causes the directory referenced by fd to become the current working directory, the starting point for path searches of pathnames not beginning with a slash, '/'. In order for a directory to become the current directory, a process must have execute (search) access to the directory. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
chdir() will fail and the current working directory will be unchanged if one or more of the following are true: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named directory does not exist. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. fchdir() will fail and the current working directory will be unchanged if one or more of the following are true: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for the directory referenced by the file descriptor. [ENOTDIR] The file descriptor does not reference a directory. [EBADF] The argument fd is not a valid file descriptor. [EPERM] The argument fd references a directory which is not at or below the current process's root directory. SEE ALSO
chroot(2) STANDARDS
The chdir() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fchdir() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 11, 1993 BSD