Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Illegal network activity
Special Forums IP Networking Illegal network activity Post 302467850 by neil999 on Sunday 31st of October 2010 05:43:47 PM
Old 10-31-2010
Illegal network activity

Hi,

I have a wireless router connecting both windows and linux systems at home. I've discovered someone has been downloading illegal content on my network simply because they accidentally left the torrent downloader on their screen when showing me something. I removed their access for a few days as a punishment and told them never to do it again or I'd disconnect them permanently. I've just discovered by similiar means that they are still doing it. I can't trust them to obey the rules but I don't want to blanket ban them.

How can I monitor and log network web address accessing to my linux system? I know people are gonna shout hacker and other other dictator type comments but really I'm just trying to stop illegal activity on MY home internet network, I can't trust them, they've proven that, but I'm gonna get more grief if I remove their access and I'm not letting it carry on.

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Illegal function call

Hi , i am getting error message "illegal function call" can any body help what are the reasons when can we get this error mesage. Thanx in advance Naren (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Illegal instruction(coredump)

Hi I am trying to execute a simple grep command looking for records in a filename that start with 01 (grep ^01 filename) and am getting the error Illegal instruction(coredump). Has anyone any idea why this happens? Is it due to the file being corrupted? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinmas
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Please help --setfacl: illegal option -- R

when i am executing setfacl -Rm u:ggoyal2:rwx,m:rwx dir i am getting error bash-3.00# setfacl -Rm u:ggoyal2:rwx,m:rwx dir setfacl: illegal option -- R usage: setfacl -f aclfile file ... setfacl -d acl_entries file ... setfacl -m acl_entries file ... setfacl -s acl_entries file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
2 Replies

4. AIX

Monitoring the network activity happening in a port in AIX 5.3

Hi All, I would like to monitor the volume of Data that is transferred through a single port in AIX. I have nmon installed in my machine. What is the best possible solution for this problem. Thanks in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bravo13
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

how to identify network activity?

Hi there, I have a computer that is not a server. I mean it should have no network activity as it is meant to display videos and not to provide any ftp, web or whatever service. The probleme is that the computer actualy reports a constant network activity. How can I identify the processes that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need perl script to get a comprehend statistic of network activity in a LAN

need perl script to get a comprehend statistic of network activity in a LAN. The purpose is to get each indivisual data usages statistics so that I can determine who is doing the network congestion in terms of bandwidth usages both in real time and retrospectively.. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stat -c illegal option

I'm trying to get the size of each file, but when I try to use stat -c %s <file> I get the message stat: illegal option -- c Also, the man page for stat shows readlink,stat. It doesn't seem to match the man pages I've seen online. what is going on here? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Illegal Instruction error

I keep getting a Illegal instruction error when running my MCP file below is the dump error message followed by truss log, dose anyone have any ideas? /opt/builds/bin/core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'mcp' *** Select Close or Exit from the window menu to close this window... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

Network activity log

I am having Red Hat Linux 5.9 installed in my server. There are 2 physical ethernet port in the server and these 2 ports are bonded to 1 bond0 port through linux bonding utility. For some days I am experiencing some fluctuation in server port. I want to analyze the same.How to do that? It may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
4 Replies
rcinet(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 rcinet(8)

NAME
rcinet - Restarts, starts, or stops Internet network services on the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rcinet option OPTIONS
You must specify one of the following options with the rcinet command: Restarts the network on the system. Starts the network on the sys- tem. Stops the network on the system. You can restrict the restart, start, or stop operation to either IPv4 or IPv6 networks by specifying inet or inet6, respectively, as the second parameter. By default, the script assumes both IPv4 and IPv6. DESCRIPTION
The rcinet script allows system administrators to restart, start, or stop the Internet network services on the system while it is running in multiuser mode by using one of the options. RESTRICTIONS
Superuser privilege is required. Warn users that the system is being removed from the network. File systems that were not mounted using the /etc/fstab file or the automount command must be unmounted with the umount command. You must remount these file systems using the mount command after the network is started on your system. ERRORS
The rcinet script prints an error message to stderr if the network is not configured on the system. FILES
The network shell scripts are located in /sbin/init.d with symbolic links in /sbin/rc0.d and /sbin/rc3.d. SEE ALSO
Commands: mount(8) Network Administration rcinet(8)