Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Launching a process in remote machine Post 302467674 by jgt on Saturday 30th of October 2010 06:02:03 PM
Old 10-30-2010
You might also use ftp/sftp to place a trigger file on the remote machine, and have spooler type process run if the file is present, then delete the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

leave a process running in a remote machine

Hi, I would like to run a process in my gentoo machine from a consolte (putty) in Windows and would like that this process keep on going when I close the console in Windows (i.e closing this session). The process should take a long time and I do not want to leave the Windows machine running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbasil
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar to remote machine

Is there a way to use Tar (not GNU) to automaticallly create a tar file on a remote machine. the source files will be local, but I would like tthe tar file to be remote. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem launching process as BG with &

After i launch the process as back ground, when I try to grab the shell by sending the enter, process is going to Stopped state. How do I successfully run the job in bg with &. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hansini
1 Replies

5. Linux

Launching X apps from a machine without X installed

Hi. Here's my setup: a workstation with an X server a CentOS server with no X server installed (development, security is not a concern) a GUI application installed on the server When I ssh to that machine, I get: ssh -Xl root 192.168.x.x Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flj
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Needs help in launching a console application with the help of daemon process

Hi All, I am facing problem in launching a application with the help of a daemon process. Actually the application is based on command line that reads various commands for controlling the application from the console and accordingly executes those commands. The application always interact with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopallinux
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

iptables applied in local machine, can't ssh remote machine after chain changed to DROP

I want to SSH to 192.168.1.15 Server from my machine, my ip was 192.168.1.99 Source Destination was UP, with IP 192.168.1.15. This is LAN Network there are 30 Machine's Connected to the network and working fine, I'm Playing around the local machine's because I need to apply the same rules in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with fetching the data from remote machine from my jumpbox(local machine)

Team, Presently i am running a script from my local box(i.e jumpbox) to all the remote machines.Basically fetching basic queries like pwd,mkdir,touch etc and i am able to successfully fetch it from my local machine.But when i want to check certain database related queries like the dbstat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
20 Replies
netrc(4)							   File Formats 							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc - file for ftp remote login data DESCRIPTION
The .netrc file contains data for logging in to a remote host over the network for file transfers by ftp(1). This file resides in the user's home directory on the machine initiating the file transfer. Its permissions should be set to disallow read access by group and oth- ers (see chmod(1)). The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by SPACE, TAB, or NEWLINE characters: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the EOF is reached or another machine token is encountered. default Same as machine name, except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. The default token is normally used as follows: default login anonymous password user@site Such an entry gives the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note: if this token is present in the .netrc file, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password. If the remote server does not require an additional account password, the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions the same as ftp macdef. A macro is defined with the specified name; its contents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive NEWLINE characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A Sample .netrc File A .netrc file containing the following line: machine ray login demo password mypassword allows an autologin to the machine ray using the login name demo with password mypassword. FILES
~/.netrc SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ftp(1), in.ftpd(1M) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 netrc(4)