Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Insert Text on lines having the string word Post 302467607 by rdcwayx on Saturday 30th of October 2010 07:52:35 AM
Old 10-30-2010
Code:
awk '/SOAC/ {$0="#"$0}1' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert tags in lines after searching for a word

Hi, I am new to Unix and this is my first post on this forum. I am trying to convert a file into an xml. In my input I want to search for any line that starts with a 'F' and make it a tag in the xml. See below for the input and output. Input : <Payment> <REFERENCE>78</REFERENCE> F123 : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashgov
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string in alternate lines

Hi All, In continuation of my previous thread 'Add text at the end of line conditionally', I need to further modfiy the file after adding text at the end of the line. Now, I need to add a fixed charater string at alternate lines starting from first line using awk or sed.My file is now as below:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text 2 lines above pattern

Hi I am trying to insert a block of text 2 lines above a pattern match using sed eg #Start of file entry { } #End of file entry new bit of text has to be put in just above the } eg #Start of file entry { New bit of text } #End of file entry (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a string instead of blank lines

how can i insert a string sush as "###" instead of blank lines in a file? i try this code but it doesn't work! awk 'NF<1 {$1=="###" ; print$0}' in_file > out_file (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oreka18
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text before first 'n' lines

I want to put a particular text, say, the hash '#' before each of the first n lines of a file. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a word into a text file?

Hi, I have a text file with one line having few words separated by space and I need to insert another word on "n"th column/field so that previous word should shift right (to n+1st column). how can I do that? It seems we can do using awk but unable to figure out. Please advise, thanks! ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert String every n lines, resetting line counter at desired string

I need to read a text file and insert a string every n lines, but also have the line counter restart when I come across a header string. Line repeating working every 3 lines using code: sed '0~3 s/$/\nINSERT/g' < INPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt > OUTPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt I cannot seem to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skonectthedots
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert folder name in text string

Hi, I am trying to organize a badly constructed web server. Basically every file is in public_html which is horrendous. There's about 50 images and 20 html files (not counting the css files and pdf docs). I am trying to update each .html file using sed based on: Where string contains *.jpg... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enginama
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text between lines

Hello, I am trying to insert a section of text between lines in another text file. The new lines to be inserted are: abcd.efgh.zzzz=blah abcd.efgh.xxxx=blah Where N = 0 to 2 Original File: abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text after one, two, three lines & so on..

I want to insert "Text" in each file as a place where I mentioned below "Insert Text Here". These files are something like news of newspaper. Generally, newspaper headlines contain one or two lines. I don't know how it can be identified whether Text is inserted after first line or second line. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: imranrasheedamu
10 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. SEE ALSO
Text::CSV - for parsing CSV files AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 250: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 254: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 258: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 262: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 266: Expected text after =item, not a number perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Text::ParseWords(3pm)