Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Store highest filename from ls command to a variable Post 302467476 by methyl on Friday 29th of October 2010 12:46:15 PM
Old 10-29-2010
If (as we now now) you have files of the form filennnn.log (where nnnn) is a four-digit number with leading zeros, the sort is not needed.

Code:
ls -1 file????.log 2>/dev/null| tail -1

Btw. The -v and -V switches referred to by "fubayer" are non-standard (whatever that means nowadays). But we don't know what O/S either of you are running.

Last edited by methyl; 10-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Omitted filename?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Store command O/P to a variable...

Hi all.. I got a problem.. Its easy to redirect o/p to a file.. But Is it possible to redirect the O/P to a variable? For example: I've a command in my script: string1=cut -d ':' -f2 file.txt When I do: echo $string1 The value is empty... Pls suggest me how to store the value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartbuddy
7 Replies

2. Solaris

NAWK - setting a variable to the highest value

Hi, new to nawk so not sure how this works, I have a file with three values 23:36:18 - i need to set a variable called SCORE with the highest value from the file (i.e. 36) using nawk can anyone help? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable to store of find command

Hello Experts I am newbie to unix and writing one script to make archive files Problme i am facing is : I have used find command to find the type of files and I am storing find command results in a variable. When I echo the variable I can see that path is printed properly but when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitsyjohn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To store the file name o/p from find command in to a variable

Hi How to use a variable to store the filename of a file which was found by the 'find' command. can this be practical-->var = find . -name "filename.dat" Please help.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayyappaas
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

store last command exit status in variable in shell script

Hello All My req is to store the exit status of a command in shell variable I want to check whether the file has header or not The header will contain the string DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID So I am running the command head -1 $i | grep DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID Now I have to check if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the return value of a command into a variable?

I want to store the return value of grep -c string filename into a variable, say count. How do I do that? For example if grep -c "string" "filename" shows 0 on executing it in the sh shell then I want to store this 0 in a variable. Is it possible? :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command inside variable

Is it possible to store a command inside a variable? i want this piece to be stored inside a variable, so i can use it later in a different command $u | cut -d " " -f 2 var="$u | cut -d " " -f 2" eval $var I tried to use eval but I receive this error: -f 2: command not found ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: velos
5 Replies

10. Programming

Python - store output of command to a variable

I am trying to store output of python command in variable. Could you please help how I can do that ? For example I am executing the following command - "CentOS" in server_desc The output would be True or False I would like to store the output in a variable say outPut and use condition... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
4 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -L linkname ] [ -p program ] [ -f ] [ -D ] [ -t ] [ -v ] [ -e ] [ -c ] [ -n number-of-files ] logfile rotation- time|filesize(B|K|M|G) [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. -L linkname Causes a hard link to be made from the current logfile to the specified link name. This can be used to watch the log continuously across rotations using a command like tail -F linkname. -p program If given, rotatelogs will execute the specified program every time a new log file is opened. The filename of the newly opened file is passed as the first argument to the program. If executing after a rotation, the old log file is passed as the second argument. rotatelogs does not wait for the specified program to terminate before continuing to operate, and will not log any error code returned on termination. The spawned program uses the same stdin, stdout, and stderr as rotatelogs itself, and also inherits the environment. -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools) -D Creates the parent directories of the path that the log file will be placed in if they do not already exist. This allows strftime(3) formatting to be used in the path and not just the filename. -t Causes the logfile to be truncated instead of rotated. This is useful when a log is processed in real time by a command like tail, and there is no need for archived data. No suffix will be added to the filename, however format strings containing '%' characters will be respected. -v Produce verbose output on STDERR. The output contains the result of the configuration parsing, and all file open and close actions. -e Echo logs through to stdout. Useful when logs need to be further processed in real time by a further tool in the chain. -c Create log file for each interval, even if empty. -n number-of-files Use a circular list of filenames without timestamps. With -n 3, the series of log files opened would be "logfile", "logfile.1", "logfile.2", then overwriting "logfile". Available in 2.4.5 and later. logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesize(B|K|M|G) The maximum file size in followed by exactly one of the letters B (Bytes), K (KBytes), M (MBytes) or G (GBytes). .PP When time and size are specified, the size must be given after the time. Rotation will occur whenever either time or size limits are reached. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/log/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/log/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/log/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/log/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/log/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/log/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -t /var/log/logfile 86400" common This creates the file /var/log/logfile, truncating the file at startup and then truncating the file once per day. It is expected in this scenario that a separate process (such as tail) would process the file in real time. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2018-07-06 ROTATELOGS(8)