Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell arrays need help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell arrays need help Post 302467375 by Scrutinizer on Friday 29th of October 2010 06:33:50 AM
Old 10-29-2010
Or you can do it directly in ksh/bash:
Code:
NUMS=(one two "three and a half")
echo ${NUMS[0]}
echo ${NUMS[1]}
echo ${NUMS[2]}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell and Arrays

Hi everyone, first post here so please be gentle :-) I normally likle to script in Bourne Shell simply for guarenteed compatibility across any system I might run across but this latest problem has me stumped. Arrays is a rather significant construct missing from sh and after finding a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unbeliever
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in shell script

Hi, can we use arrays in shell script? I have this so far: #!/bin/sh isql -Usa -P -S DBSERVER -o output << EOF sp_transactions "state", "prepared", "xactname" go / EOF the file 'output'' will be have many entries and I want to caputre the transaction names only: grep 000 output works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use arrays in c shell

hi :) i need help to explain arrays 2D in c shell like this in c++ int a (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgphsf
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell / awk arrays

I have a bash shell script that sources a data file, the data file has array values such as: #--data file ---# sg_name="db1" sg_size="12892" sg_allow="50000" sg_name="db2" sg_size="12892" sg_allow="50000" export sg_name sg_size sg_allow #--end data file --# In my shell script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell arrays

how do you declare an array in the C shell and loop through each element? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with arrays in C Shell

Hi guys could you please post links that explain how to use and manipulate arrays in c shell (.csh files) ? examples are useful too :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domain
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in C shell

hi guys, i have the following code in C shell.. set i=0 while ($i < 11) master_array=${ARRAY} i++ done it gives me error at line 3: Variable syntax. what is wrong here? any help is appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in shell

I have three arrays. One is Master array and that has list of other array in config file. for e.g (for simplicity I have only defined array with 2 elements each) set +A MASTERARRAY SQLUPDATE_ONETIME SQLUPDATE_DAILY END_OF_ARRAY set +A SQLUPDATE_ONETIME update12 update22 END_OF_ARRAY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for 2 arrays

I have 2 arrays abc and xyz abc = ( a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z ) and xyz = ( b c d e f ) lets assume a .... z are the file name. I have to perform a pattern replacement on each file present in abc array accept the files i have in xyz array. and i am doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukretiabhi13
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in Shell Scripts

I have defined an array like this: set -A MYARRAY MYARRAY=file1 MYARRAY=file2 MYARRAY=file3 MYARRAY=file4 i=0 while } ]] do echo "File Name $i :" ${MYARRAY} i=`expr $i + 1 ` echo "value of i=" $i done This works perfectly and shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)