Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Improving this validate function Post 302467227 by DGPickett on Thursday 28th of October 2010 04:10:25 PM
Old 10-28-2010
You want to be able to validate any word in a space delimited list, not every byte, right?

You might change your input validation to a case string, somewhat more varsatile with | (or), [abc] (list of char) and such:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

valInp(){

for i in $1 qzzq
do
 bad_args=""

case "$i"  in
 (qzzq)
   ;;
 ($2)
   ;;
 (*)
   bad_args="$bad_args $i"
   ;;
 esac
done

if [ "$bad_args" != "" ]
then
 return 1
fi
}

Using a grep -E regex-pattern would be even more powerful.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

valInp(){

bad_args=""

echo $1 | tr ' ' '\12' | grep -Ev "$2" | while read bad
do
 bad_args="$bad_args $bad"
done

if [ "$bad_args" != "" ]
then
 return 1
fi
}

Last edited by DGPickett; 10-28-2010 at 05:18 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

improving my script

Hi; I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number. My input is a file containing all client numbers. i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code by using associative arrays

I have the following code, and I am changing it to #!/bin/bash hasArgumentCModInfile=0 hasArgumentSrcsInfile=0 hasArgumentRcvsInfile=0 OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS="|=" # IFS controls splitting. Split on "|" and "=", not whitespace. set -- $* # Set the positional... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help improving my script.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide input. To start, I am not a linux/unix expert but I muddle through the best I can. I am also in no way shape or form a programmer. Please keep that in mind as you read this script. This script is designed to find all files in a given... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garlandxj11
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code

Gents, I did the below code to get an output (report) ,.. the code works fine but I believe it can be more shorted using better method. Please if you can help, to generate same output improving the code , will be great. here my code. # get diff in time awk '{$9=$8-prev8;prev8=$8;print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving repetitive tasks in function

stop_service () { sudo systemctl is-active --quiet video.service && sudo systemctl stop video.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/video.service && echo stop video sudo systemctl is-active --quiet audio.service && sudo systemctl stop audio.service && sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/audio.service... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristosv
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)