Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to kill network users?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to kill network users? Post 302467182 by jgt on Thursday 28th of October 2010 01:00:42 PM
Old 10-28-2010
The cause is likely that your users are just closing their terminal emulation session by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Windows app, instead of logging off.
The result of doing this is that the telnet session never dies and huge cpu resources are used searching for the missing client.
You should see a difference between "who" and "ps -leaf |grep ttyp"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill stranded/orphan process by users.

I have customers on our AIX/UNIX node startup a process that becomes stranded or orphaned and must be killed. I would like to create a script to check for these orphan processes and kill them. I can have cron run this job. The customers process will run and after 24 hours time out leaving an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjohnson
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process of other users

Hi, Can I kill process submitted by another uesr (say user1) if I'm not the su. If I got some previledges granted from user1, can I kill user1's process? Please advise? Thank you very much! Regards, Tse (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsesukfan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

users on a network

this script checks every 10 sec if one or more users are logged on. the script reports when all the users ( in a specific group) are log on togather, and then stops. first i want to know if it works?? second how to make it better? * the script is in tcsh. #!/bin/tcsh if (!$#argv) then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaber87
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill users

Someone knows how do I kill a login user only with the login_name? This moment I kill the user using the following command. E4500:/mg98/samuel$ whodo samuel Tue Sep 14 08:32:10 EST 2004 sun pts/234 samuel 7:30 pts/234 24200 0:00 ksh pts/234 26724 0:00 whodo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samuel
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find users in a network

How to find users in a network? I used who. But i want to to find users using cox internet to connect to a server. PLease help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subbarao83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill crashed out users

Hi all, We have a problem where we get a fair few users either exiting incorrectly or crashing. I'm trying to get a script together that runs every hour to kill these processes off. We are running Sco OperServer(TM) Release 5 The command we use to get a list of users who have crashed: ps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tez
2 Replies

8. AIX

Script allows user to kill other users: I'd like to know HOW...

Hello list, Have a problem that's highlighting gaps in my knowledge; can you assist? We have a script that's tacked onto our trading application which allows branch managers etc. to kill off the sessions of other users at their branch. A menu option in the application spawns a shell running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
8 Replies

9. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

10. AIX

command to kill all loged in users

Guy's I'm looking for command to kill all the loged in users in AIX server Is there specific command can help us to kill any loged in users I have this command who -u it'll show me the process ID of all the users but I want command to kill all the users including to root without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
1 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 Terminate the process group with PGID 117: kill -- -117 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD