Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How can I find the size of files added to a folder after a particular date Post 302466838 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 12:48:42 PM
Old 10-27-2010
If you want to segregate files by the file times as shown in man stat, you can use 'find'. There are two flavors there.
  • The mtime/time/atime arguments are real time clock sensitive and day-granular, but fine for gross bracketing. You can say
    Code:
    -ctime +3 -ctime -5

to get 2 days 3-d days ago to the second.
  • The newer works with the modification time and a marker file per -newer, so you can say
    Code:
    -newer a ! -newer b

to get files in any exact range in seconds. See man touch for creating and resetting the mtimes of files.

I was at a loss for better tools to access stat() data, so I wrote one, but the latest version, with arguments for every stat element, seems to be hiding. It can take in a stream of file names and spits them out annotated with the UNIX mtime, in integer seconds since 1970 started, GMT:
Code:
$ cat mysrc/mystat.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

static void psf( char * buf )
{
        struct stat s ;

if ( 0 > stat( buf, &s ) )
        {
                perror( buf );
                return ; ;
        }

if ( 0 > printf( "%u\t%s\n", s.st_mtime, buf ) )
        {
                if ( !ferror( stdout ) )
                        exit( 0 );
                perror( "stdout" );
                exit( 1 );
        }
}

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
        char buf[PATH_MAX + 2];
        char *cp ;
        int i ;
        int clf = 0 ;

for ( i = 1 ; i < argc ; i++ )
        {
                clf ++ ;
                psf( argv[i] );
        }

if ( !clf ) while ( fgets( buf, sizeof buf, stdin ) )
        {
                if ( !( cp = strchr( buf, '\n' ) ) )
                {
                        fprintf( stderr, "File path too long: '%s'\n", buf );
                        continue ;
                }

*cp = NULL ;
                psf( buf );
        }

if ( !ferror( stdin ) )
                exit( 0 );

perror( "stdin" );
        exit( 1 );
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting to find the size of the folder

Will any body help me by writing a script in unix to the find out the size of the Main folder which has some 5 to 6 subfolders which in turn has some file in each of these subfolders regards victorvvk (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script to find files by date and size

Hi, I have a directory PRIVATE in which I have several directories and each of these have several files. Therefore, I need to find those files by size and date to back up those files in another directory. I don't know how to implement this shell script using ''find''. appreciate any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dadadc
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I find files by date or size from stout?

Hello all I wander if I make for example " ls -l " And it gives me all the files in the directory with the additional info like data size and privileges But what if I like to filter the stout result for example by date When I try to do: echo "`ls -l`" | grep "Jan 12" it gives me the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find file size and date

Hi in my shell script I have to do this 1. there is a file called testing.txt in /home/report directory If the file size is 0(zero) and date is today's date, then I have to print "Successful" else "Failed". 2. There is a file called number.txt which will have text only one line like this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsusarla
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find folder size with created date

hi, please give me adivse .how to find the folder size with created created date . eg: i have directore and in that sub directoties and so on.. /home/mud/abc/dcb/ for this i want output like this path size date -------------------------------------------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddasani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find last updated date and time of a folder in Perl?

Hi All, I have a process which after some time continues move a files to some folder(say the name of the folder is logdir) What i am trying to do is as the files are coming to the logdir folder, I want the latest updated time and date of the folder in PERL. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

find command to display size and date of a file

Hi, The blow code does not yeild any output. find . -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.ksh" -o -name "*.properties" -name "*.war" -o -name "*.ear" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.cfg" -exec ls -l {} \; I wish to print the filename filesize filedate in HP-UX. Can anyone help ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find latest date in folder

HI I have folder in home dir. /home/kpp/07222013 /home/kpp/07212013 /home/kpp/07202013 Output :-- /home/kpp/07222013 Just find latest date (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to replace old date with current date dynamically in multiple files present in a folder

I am trying to work on a script where it is a *(star) delimited file has a multiple lines starts with RTG and 3rd column=TD8 I want to substring the date part and I want to replace with currentdate minus 15 days. Here is an example. iam using AIX server $ cat temp.txt RTG*888*TD8*20180201~... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
1 Replies
DEVNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						DEVNAME(3)

NAME
devname -- get device name LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <stdlib.h> char * devname(dev_t dev, mode_t type); char * devname_r(dev_t dev, mode_t type, char *buf, int len); char * fdevname(int fd); char * fdevname_r(int fd, char *buf, int len); DESCRIPTION
The devname() function returns a pointer to the name of the block or character device in /dev with a device number of dev, and a file type matching the one encoded in type which must be one of S_IFBLK or S_IFCHR. To find the right name, devname() asks the kernel via the kern.devname sysctl. If it is unable to come up with a suitable name, it will format the information encapsulated in dev and type in a human-readable format. The fdevname() and fdevname_r() function obtains the device name directly from a file descriptor pointing to a character device. If it is unable to come up with a suitable name, these functions will return a NULL pointer. devname() and fdevname() return the name stored in a static buffer which will be overwritten on subsequent calls. devname_r() and fdevname_r() take a buffer and length as argument to avoid this problem. EXAMPLES
int fd; struct stat buf; char *name; fd = open("/dev/tun"); fstat(fd, &buf); printf("devname is /dev/%s ", devname(buf.st_rdev, S_IFCHR)); printf("fdevname is /dev/%s ", fdevname(fd)); SEE ALSO
stat(2) HISTORY
The devname() function appeared in 4.4BSD. The fdevname() function appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. BSD
February 22, 2005 BSD