Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Route all traffic between two ethernet interfaces Post 302466821 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 11:37:55 AM
Old 10-27-2010
I have used the arp commands to make something like a route, saying a particular host's mac supports an IP, and when the packets get there, a route there, or another arp lie, can get it delivered. I forget why we did not use a manual route! Maybe we wanted the routing protocol to think it decided everything!

FTP is a sub-protocol of TCP. TCP is one of 512 sub-protocols of IP, along with ICMP (ping and such) and UDP. IP is encapulated in Ethernet. Or more pragmatically, each layer has its own header. So if FTP s routing, TCP is routing. Routing is an IP level activity.

Last edited by DGPickett; 10-27-2010 at 01:03 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interfaces

Hello, which network interface i must sellect during the solaris9 installation le0 or hme0 ? this system is part of the network, it is a standalone system and is not on any domain. thanks for your help, em (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emsakopa
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NTP idle ports and ethernet interfaces

I did a netstat -an and saw that ntp was listening on 4 UDP ports for each interface. Is this insecure because they are UDP ports and I don't see them in a listen state, is that because they are just a client. Thank you. *.ntp Idle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Zones and interfaces

Hello, can someone please suggest if is possible to use different net interfaces for non global zones ? for example , bash-3.00# uname -srv SunOS 5.10 Generic_137137-09 bash-3.00# ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/network/interfaces

i need a one liner command that writes in /var/log/net.log the date when i connect to the network and when i disconect ..i know that i need to write somethin in /etc/network/interfaces but idk what ! please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0dlik3
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Could you explain these Interfaces????

Hi friends, I am abit confused regarding these interfaces, hope you could clearify everything, and differentiate between them, with examples? 1. Graphical User Interface(GUI) 2. Text User Interface(TUI) 3. Character User Interface(CUI) 4. Commandline Interface(CLI) 5. Text-based User... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

6. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Interfaces and Virtual-interfaces queries

Hi Al, In course of understanding networking in Solaris, I have these doubts on Interfaces. Please clarify me. I have done fair research in this site and others but could not be clarified. 1. In the "ifconfig -a" command, I see many interfaces and their configurations. But I see many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
1 Replies

8. Solaris

can't see other interfaces

Hi Guys, I have a Netra240 server with four interfaces. However, when I ran this command dladm show-dev it showed only one interface bge0. Can someone please explain to me how to fix this problem? Thanks guys. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Logic to transmit traffic to physical interfaces ( eg ce0 and ce1)

Just wanted to understand what is the logic being used by Solaris(kernel) to transmit data/traffic on physical interfaces. I have seen most of the time traffic is being sent to interface ce0 and sometime to ce1. I have removed ip address from below command for some reason. netstat -rn ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadeemahmed
3 Replies

10. AIX

How to re-route traffic from one port to another?

Hi Friends, How to do port forwarding in AIX? We would like to re route traffic from port A to port B on AIX LPAR. for example: my application is using 8080 port on LPAR and would like to use the 8081 instead of 8080. By default application was configured with 8080. But instead of changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
2 Replies
routing(7P)							     Protocols							       routing(7P)

NAME
routing - system support for packet network routing DESCRIPTION
The network facilities provide general packet routing. The routing interface described here can be used to maintain the system's IPv4 rout- ing table. It has been maintained for compatibility with older applications. The recommended interface for maintaining the system's routing tables is the routing socket, described at route(7P). The routing socket can be used to manipulate both the IPv4 and IPv6 routing tables of the system. Routing table maintenance may be implemented in applications processes. A simple set of data structures compose a "routing table" used in selecting the appropriate network interface when transmitting packets. This table contains a single entry for each route to a specific network or host. The routing table was designed to support routing for the Internet Protocol (IP), but its implementation is protocol independent and thus it may serve other protocols as well. User programs may manipulate this data base with the aid of two ioctl(2) commands, SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT. These commands allow the addition and deletion of a single routing table entry, respectively. Routing table manipulations may only be carried out by privileged user. A routing table entry has the following form, as defined in /usr/include/net/route.h: struct rtentry { unit_t rt_hash; /* to speed lookups */ struct sockaddr rt_dst; /* key */ struct sockaddr rt_gateway; /* value */ short rt_flags; /* up/down?, host/net */ short rt_refcnt; /* # held references */ unit_t rt_use; /* raw # packets forwarded */ /* * The kernel does not use this field, and without it the structure is * datamodel independent. */ #if !defined(_KERNEL) struct ifnet *rt_ifp; /* the answer: interface to use */ #endif /* !defined(_KERNEL) */ }; with rt_flags defined from: #define RTF_UP 0x1 /* route usable */ #define RTF_GATEWAY 0x2 /* destination is a gateway */ #define RTF_HOST 0x4 /* host entry (net otherwise) */ There are three types of routing table entries: those for a specific host, those for all hosts on a specific network, and those for any destination not matched by entries of the first two types, called a wildcard route. Each network interface installs a routing table entry when it is initialized. Normally the interface specifies if the route through it is a "direct" connection to the destination host or net- work. If the route is direct, the transport layer of a protocol family usually requests the packet be sent to the same host specified in the packet. Otherwise, the interface may be requested to address the packet to an entity different from the eventual recipient; essen- tially, the packet is forwarded. Routing table entries installed by a user process may not specify the hash, reference count, use, or interface fields; these are filled in by the routing routines. If a route is in use when it is deleted, meaning its rt_refcnt is non-zero, the resources associated with it will not be reclaimed until all references to it are removed. User processes read the routing tables through the /dev/ip device. The rt_use field contains the number of packets sent along the route. This value is used to select among multiple routes to the same desti- nation. When multiple routes to the same destination exist, the least used route is selected. A wildcard routing entry is specified with a zero destination address value. Wildcard routes are used only when the system fails to find a route to the destination host and network. The combination of wildcard routes and routing redirects can provide an economical mechanism for routing traffic. ERRORS
EEXIST A request was made to duplicate an existing entry. ESRCH A request was made to delete a non-existent entry. ENOBUFS Insufficient resources were available to install a new route. ENOMEM Insufficient resources were available to install a new route. ENETUNREACH The gateway is not directly reachable. For example, it does not match the destination/subnet on any of the network inter- faces. FILES
/dev/ip IP device driver SEE ALSO
route(1M), ioctl(2), route(7P) SunOS 5.11 9 Nov 1999 routing(7P)