Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users awk - remove block of text, multiple actions for 'if', inline edit Post 302466601 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 07:31:33 PM
Old 10-26-2010
@Scruti

Nice one ! Lol

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Script to perform some actions on multiple files

I have this Korn script that I wrote (with some help) that is run by cron. I basically watches a file system for a specific filename to be uploaded (via FTP), checks to make sure that the file is no longer being uploaded (by checking the files size), then runs a series of other scripts. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / awk - inplace or inline edit

I need to remove the '&' from a file. In each line of the file, the fields are separated by ^K. I only want to remove '&' if it exists in field number 9. (example of field 9: abc&xyz) I need to do an in place/in line edit. So far I have accomplished the following: awk -F '^K' '{print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove multiple text from a single file

Dear all, I have a file which have let us say records from A-Z. Now I want to remove multiple letter from this file using single command.. let us say I want to remove A,F,K,Y,U,P,B,S,D. I can use grep -v command but for this case i need to rerun the file several time i wana avoid using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text block in multiple files

I need to replace (delete) a text block in a bunch of files, its a html table, almost at the end of pages but the location varies. In Windows I used Filemonkey, but nothing like that in Unix? There is replace from mysql, but how does it deal with newlines? sed only works with single lines,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiland
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a block of Text at regular intervals

Hello all, I have a text files that consists of blocks of text. Each block of text represents a set of Cartesian coordinates for a molecule. Each block of text starts with a line that has a only a number, which is equal to the total number of atoms in the molecule. After this number is a line... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter or remove duplicate block of text without distinguishing marks or fields

Hello, Although I have found similar questions, I could not find advice that could help with our problem. The issue: We have several hundreds text files containing repeated blocks of text (I guess back at the time they were prepared like that to optmize printing). The block of texts... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: samask
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inline edit using sed / awk

Hi, I have file with all the lines as following format <namebindings:StringNameSpaceBinding xmi:id="StringNameSpaceBinding" name="ENV_CONFIG_PATH" nameInNameSpace="COMP/HOD/MYSTR/BACKOFFICE/ENV_CONFIG_PATH" stringToBind="test"/> I want to replace (all the lines) value of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklaa02
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines from a text file

Hi I have a text file named main.txt with 10,000 lines. I have another file with a list of line numbers (around 1000) of the lines to be deleted from main.txt file. I tried with sed but it removes only a range of line numbers. Thanks for any help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies
kaleidescope(6x)						XScreenSaver manual						  kaleidescope(6x)

NAME
Kaleidescope - rotating line segments SYNOPSIS
kaleidescope [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-install] [-visual visual] [-color_mode mono | nice | greedy] [-nsegments int] [-ntrails int] [-local_rotation int] [-global_rotation int] [-delay usecs] [-redmin int] [-greenmin int] [-bluemin int] [-redrange int] [-greenrange int] [-bluerange int] [-fps] DESCRIPTION
The kaleidescope program draws line segments in a symmetric pattern that evolves over time. OPTIONS
kaleidescope accepts the following options: -root Draw on the root window. -color_mode mono | nice | greedy Specify how kaleidescope uses colors. Mono uses just the default foreground and background colors. Nice uses one color for each segment (specified by nsegments). Greedy uses (ntrails * nsegments) + 1 colors. -install Install a private colormap for the window. -visual visual Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual. -nsegments integer The number of segments to draw. Default is 7. -ntrails integer The number of trails to draw. Default is 100. -local_rotation integer The rate at which segments rotate around their center. Default is -59. -global_rotation integer The rate at which segments rotate around the center of the window. Default is 1. -redmin, -greenmin, -bluemin, -redrange, -greenrange, -bluerange All take an integer argument. When colors are randomly chosen, they are chosen from the interval min to min plus range. The mini- mums default to 30000. The ranges default to 20000. -delay microseconds How much of a delay should be introduced between steps of the animation. Default is 20000, or about 5 frames a second. -fps Display the current frame rate and CPU load. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get the default host and display number. XENVIRONMENT to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property. SEE ALSO
X(1), kaleidescope(6x) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997 by Ron Tapia. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Ron Tapia <tapia@nmia.com>, 20-Mar-97. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) kaleidescope(6x)