Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Home of user that is stored in var Post 302466450 by jlliagre on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 11:41:57 AM
Old 10-26-2010
Please define "doesn't work" like error messages or unexpected behavior.
Your script sample works fine with ksh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking in user to $HOME

Is there a very easy and configurable method to lock a user into their home directory? I've checked on chroot() methodology.....but i'm not to excited about copying around ( or symlinking) libraries..binaries....etc. Thought about altering the groups via chgrp...to only allow read access to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomas.jones
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files still being created in /var/spool/mmdf/lock/home

Hi all I need help finding a process that is continuing to create files in the above area. There are three sub folder titled addr q.local and msg . I have already found a process called mmdf running and have used the kill command to stop this from running. I have also looked for sendmail or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeaMaker
12 Replies

3. HP-UX

Where are SAM user templates stored?

Hey, new here, so be nice! I'm trying to write a little script to automate the user creation process on one of our boxes. But I would like to be able to use the templates that we have set up in SAM. Is the information in these templates stored in a file somewhere, that I can reference in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

home vs user

Hello, I am trying to find out all users who still have a home dir but do not exist anymore in /etc/passwd file. Here is what I did but I am getting the opposit of what I want. Any suggestion? for USAGERD in `find /home -type d -exec ls -d {} \;` do USAGER=${USAGERD##/*/}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
4 Replies

5. AIX

/home belongs to a user?

While doing a "little" clean up job, i noticed something weird... A ls -altr of my / showed this: drwxr-xr-x 1549 johcham grands 102400 Jan 28 13:13 home How can a user become the owner / modify the group of my /home??? any thoughts? Can i chown this back to bin:bin (i think that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

User's home directory

Hi, By default user's home directory will be /home/$user. I want to change it to /javauser/$user. How can I do it? Thanks Jeevan. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
5 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. Solaris

ssh private keys stored on home server

Where in the world are the ssh private keys stored on the home server? I know the public keys are renamed to authorized_keys under the /export/home//.ssh directory on the remote server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2012-02-29 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2012 AT&T Intellectual Property license http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/epl-v10.html KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)