Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help need in perl script reading from file Post 302466357 by dahlia84 on Tuesday 26th of October 2010 08:36:15 AM
Old 10-26-2010
To achive this, you need to know

1. How to read from a file using perl (search google for read a file in perl)
2. How to tell if a file exists in Perl (Check perl.about.com/od/filesystem/qt/perl_file_exist.htm)

For writing into logs, you can use something like this
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
$localfilen= "test.log";
open(LOG, ">$localfilen") ||
        die "Sorry, could not open test.log $!";

print LOG "STEPONE\n";
close LOG;

In case your are stuck anywhere, post back with your code, people here are very helpful. They definitely will guide you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Reading from File

is there a perl equivalent to sscanf? or something where I get the strings separated by spaces? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading each line of a file in perl script

HI I need to read each line (test.txt) and store it in a array (@test) How to do it in perl. Suppose i have a file test.txt. I have to read each line of the test.txt file and store it in a array @test. How to do it in perl. Regards Harikrishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - reading from a file conditionally

Hi, I am new to perl. I want to read from a file on the basis of some conditions.. I want to define parameters in a configuration file in such a manner like... etc.. in my perl script, theer is a variable like this.. then i want to read values from first if block from the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shellwell
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl script while reading a file

Hi Everyone, I am very new to perl, but came across a situation wherein I have to read a c++ header file and write the datatype, its identifier and also the length to an excel file. There can be other header files, in the directory but I should browse through the file which has only "_mef:" string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SOLVED: reading config file in a perl script

Hi! I have a need to do this in Perl. script.pl -config file The script would be doing a wget/LWP on a URL which is defined in the config file. So when I run the script it should return either one of these conditions - 1) OK with exit status 0. Should also print "wget URL" 2)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly

This is one of the strangest things that's happening to me. I'm writing a new Perl script that is trying to read a file. The file is originally in .mof format, but I also saved the contents into a .txt file. As a simple test, I wrote this: #!/user/bin/perl -w use strict; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading a file in Perl

If a form's action is the following Perl script how do I make it print the entire contents of the file on the screen? if(param()) { my $uploadedFile = param('file');#in the html page 'file' is the value of the name attribute of the input my $fh = upload($uploadedFile); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zerohour
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script for reading table format data from file.

Hi, i need a perl script which reads the file, content is given below. and output in new file. TARGET DRIVE IO1 IO2 IO3 IO4 IO5 ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- 0a.1.8 266 236 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with perl script with a while loop reading file

Good morning, I appreciate any assistance that I can get from the monks out there. I am able to get this to work for me so that I can do a hostname lookup if I only specify one hostname in the script. What I want to do is have a file with hostnames and do lookups for each name in the file. Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brianjb
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while reading variable from a file in perl script

I have a file abc.ini and declared many variables in that file, one of the variable(DBname) value I am trying to read in my perl script but getting error. File abc.ini content # database name DBname =UATBOX my $ex_stat; my $cmd_output; $ex_stat = "\Qawk '/^DBname/{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)