Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retriving the first line of data from the listing Post 302466192 by chipmuns on Monday 25th of October 2010 09:56:29 PM
Old 10-25-2010
Retriving the first line of data from the listing

Hi All,

I have a problem of retrieving the first line of data from the listing i got back from this command :

ls -l * | awk '{print $9}' | awk -F. '{print $3}' | sort -g

the files names are in the folder are like
month.dat.201010210400
day.dat.201010210401
year.dat.201010210402

As the folders contains other files which doesn't match the pattern ,
i get back results with blanks spaces in front of the listing .
eg :

how do i omit the blanks spaces and read the first line of data from the result ? i tried using 'head -1' but it is returning me the blank row

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing words from a file on a Separate Line

Hi, I want to list all the words in my file on a separate line. I am using the bourne(sh)/bourne again shell(bash). Thanks, theA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astudent
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

retriving a value from a variable

Hi all, I need to retrive a value from a variable like so temp1=test1 temp2=test2 num=2 while do pingvar=eval echo \$temp$num echo $pingvar let num=$num-1 done in the "echo $pingvar" i get $temp2 and $temp1 but, I need to get the values of temp2 and temp1 which are test1 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
2 Replies

4. Linux

Error While retriving Host details from Nagios

Whoops! Error: Could not read object configuration data! Here are some things you should check in order to resolve this error: 1. Verify configuration options using the -v command-line option to check for errors. 2. Check the Nagios log file for messages relating to startup or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manian_balu
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing out three fields of data

How would I find three different fields in a data file such as first name, last name, credit card number in a particular file? Thanks in advance for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damion
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directorie listing in Human form for data sizes

I have seen it done at my job before, there is a command that will make a notepad and show the directorie path, subfolders, and size of the subfolders? But i dont want it to go lower than 2 levels for example: folder_01 10 GB subfolder_02 10 GB subfolder_03 10 GB... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JUSSAN007
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

listing in 1 line

hi when I do ps -aef | grep .... I get the different parts each on 1 line. if I do a=`ps -aef | grep ...` echo $a I receive the result on 1 line. how to display it as before? i.e. each on 1 line? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in adding a data after a particular line of data in a file.

Hi.. I'm into a bump after trying to solve this prob.. i've a file with contents like below. <blankline> 'pgmId' : 'UNIX', 'pgmData' : 'textfile', 'author' : 'admin', ....... Now i'm trying to insert a new data after pgmId. so the final output will be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to remove listing of current user cmd from ps -ef listing?

Hi All, Could you please help to resolve my following issues: Problem Description: Suppose my user name is "MI90". i.e. $USER = MI90 when i run below command, i get all the processes running on the system containing name MQ. ps -ef | grep MQ But sometimes it lists... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDMishra
8 Replies
ARP2ETHERS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ARP2ETHERS(8)

NAME
arp2ethers - convert arpwatch address database to ethers file format SYNOPSIS
arp2ethers [ arp.dat file ] DESCRIPTION
arp2ethers converts the file /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat (or the file specified on the command line) into ethers(5) format on stdout. Usu- ally arp.dat is an ethernet/ip database file generated by arpwatch(8). The arpwatch daemon in Debian will create different arp.dat depend- ing on its configuration. All of them will be available at /var/lib/arpwatch/. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory for arp.dat arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8), ethers(5), rarp(8), arp(8), BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. AUTHORS
Original version by Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. Modified for the Debian Project by Peter Kelemen, with additions from Erik Warmelink. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz This manual page was contributed by Hugo Graumann. ARP2ETHERS(8)