Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot generate core dump file Post 302466073 by jim mcnamara on Monday 25th of October 2010 10:36:01 AM
Old 10-25-2010
questions:
1. are you running the code as root - if not the cwd of the process may not allow it to write to the cwd.

2. do you have debuginfo installed?

3. run this as root:

Code:
find / -type -f -name core -exec file {} \;

file usually identifies the name of the program that generated the core. What do you see?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump

I've got a core dump in my weblogic home directory, which i have tried to debug by initiating savecore from /etc/init.d/savecore start but savecore failed to create the two files, that is vmcore.n and vmunix.n. savecore is enable on my server to save vmcore and vmunix in /var/crash/hostname 1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core dump file size

Hi All, is there any way to find out the optimal/would be size of the cor dump file generated by the system while a process got terminated abnormally? Basically we have been asked to provide the size of the core dump file being generated by the administrators who maintained the UNIX boxes.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pushp.gahlot
4 Replies

4. Programming

how to view a core dump file

by what name does a core dump file stored??? like i wrote a test code: //dump.c main() { char *p=NULL; printf("%s",p); } of course the above code will produce a segmentation fault. but i cant see any file named core in my CWD. am using SUN0S 5.9 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
6 Replies

5. AIX

core dump

My application gives core dump. When i am debugging with dbx getting instructions below: pthdb_session.c, 818: 695445 PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) pthreaded.c, 1941: PTHDB_INTERNAL (internal error) Illegal instruction (illegal opcode) in . at 0x0 warning: Unable to access address 0x0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bapi
1 Replies

6. Programming

How to use a core dump file

Hi All, May be it is a stupid question, but, I would like to know what is the advantage using a core dump file at the moment of debugging using gdb. I know a core dump has information about the state of the application when it crashed, but, what is the difference between debugging using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Core dump in HP-UX

Hi Guys, I was wondering if somebody could give me a link to a very good source of information or document about core dump process and How to's about it. I have also googled it and found some articles myself. Thanks Messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to open the core dump file in linux?

Hi, I have got core dump stating "core.bash.29846" so i am unable to open. How to open the core dump file for further analysis? Reagards Vanitha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
7 Replies

9. Solaris

core dump

Hi guys, just want to know which core file pattern is best to set for core dumps: 1) per-process file name pattern or 2) global file name pattern. I will really appreciate an explanation why the chosen one is better. Thanks a lot guys. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Problems in reading CORE DUMP file with dbx

I am new to UNIX. My Application is using c (.so files) and Java code. My application crashes and CORE DUMP file is generated ,which is huge. Now I want to view the CORE DUMP file to debug the application using dbx without starting process again. By only using the CORE DUMP file and dbx ,can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satde
1 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)