Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script find longest line/lines in several files Post 302465998 by rdcwayx on Monday 25th of October 2010 05:53:43 AM
Old 10-25-2010
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{L=(length>L)?length:L;next} length==L' infile infile

This User Gave Thanks to rdcwayx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find longest phrase

Hi Everyone, I am trying to write a shell script that can find the longest phrase that appears at least twice in an online news article. The HTML has been parsed through an HTML parser, converted to XML and the article content extracted. I have put this article content in a text file to work... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: stargazerr
24 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding longest line in a Record

Good Morning/Afternoon All, I am using the nawk utility in korn shell to find the longest field and display that result. My Data is as follows: The cat ran The elephant ran Milly ran too We all ran I have tried nawk '{ if (length($1) > len) len=length($1); print $1}' filename The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find longest string and print it

Hello all, I need to find the longest string in a select field and print that field. I have tried a few different methods and I always end up one step from where I need to be. Methods thus far: nawk '{if (length($1) > long) long=length($1); if(length($1)==long) print $1}' The above... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SEinT
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find the number of files and identify which ones are 0 bytes.

I am writing a bash script to find out all the files in a directory which are empty. I am running into multiple issues. I will really appreciate if someone can please help me. #!/bin/bash DATE=$(date +%m%d%y) TIME=$(date +%H%M) DIR="/home/statsetl/input/civil/test" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monasharma13
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc -L giving incorrect length of longest line

Running below line gives 3957 as length of longest line in file 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat awk ' { if ( length > 3950 ) { x = length } }END{ print x }' 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat While wc -L 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat gives output as 4329. Why is there a difference between these two commands.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satish Mantha
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find common lines and replace next line

I want to find common line in two files and replace the next line of first file with the next line of second file. (sed,awk,perl,bash any solution is welcomed ) Case Ignored. Multiple Occurrence of same line. File 1: hgacdavd sndm,ACNMSDC msgid "Rome" msgstr "" kgcksdcgfkdsb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madira
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: copying lines with specific character to files with same name as copied line.

I am trying to make my script as simple as a possible but, I am not sure if the way I am approaching is necessarily the most efficient or effective it can be. What I am mainly trying to fix is a for loop to remove a string from the specified files and within this loop I am trying to copy the lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script using awk to find and replace a line, how to ignore comment lines

Hello, I have some code that works more or less. This is called by a make file to adjust some hard-coded definitions in the src code. The script generated some values by looking at some of the src files and then writes those values to specific locations in other files. The awk code is used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)