Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash adding multiple names
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash adding multiple names Post 302465872 by ctsgnb on Sunday 24th of October 2010 07:25:47 PM
Old 10-24-2010
This can easily be adapted to your needs

Code:
#!/usr/bin/bash
LIST=/tmp/list
while [[ "$c" != "2" ]]
do
    echo "1 - Enter a name
    2 - display $LIST
     3 - Exit"
    echo "Make your choice 1/2/3: "
    read c
    case $c in
    1)
        echo "Enter the name :"
        read a
        if ( ! grep ^"$a"$ $LIST >/dev/null 2>&1 )
        then
            echo "$a" >>$LIST
             echo "$a has been added to $LIST"
        else
            echo "filename $a already existing in $LIST, wanna remove it from list y/[n]?"
            read q
            case $q in
                 y|Y) grep -v ^"$a"$ $LIST >$LIST.tmp ; mv $LIST.tmp $LIST ; echo "$a removed from $LIST" ;;
                 n|N) echo "ok $a will stay in $LIST" ;;
                 *) echo "wrong choice, $LIST will stay as is" ;;
            esac
        fi
    ;;
    2) cat $LIST ;;
    3) exit 0 ;;
    *) echo "Wrong choice, try again..." ;;
    esac
done

---------- Post updated at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:54 AM ----------

Could modify the code and add something like and call remove_once "$a"

Code:
remove_once(){
flag=0
while read a
do if [ "$a" = "$1" ]
        then
            if [ $flag -eq 0 ]
            then
                 echo "$a" >>$LIST.tmp
                 let flag++
            fi
        else
             echo "$a" >>$LIST.tmp
        fi
done <$LIST
mv $LIST.tmp $LIST
}

Last edited by ctsgnb; 10-25-2010 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: with indentation ... so Scruti will be happy ;)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script duplicate file names

I am trying to write a housekeeping bash script. Part of it involves searching all of my attached storage media for photographs and moving them into a single directory. The problem occurs when files have duplicate names, obviously a file called 001.jpg will get overwritten with another file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Multiple Lines to Multiple Files

Hello, I have three lines I need to add to hundreds of files. The files are all in the same format and contain the same information. I want to add the same information to the files. The new lines of information are similar. Here is an example of the three lines: line1: line2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayinthelife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Directory Names for Use as Bash Variables

Hi all: I have a directory where all of the subdirectories are named by the convention "images_#1:#2_Date." My goal is to get an array for each subdirectory that has the structure (#1,#2, int). I am able to use awk to print each subdirectory's values, but cannot figure out how to get them into an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aefskysa
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Names in multiple files

What's the best way to see if a common name exists in two separate files? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines to files based on their names

I have several files on a folder something like this: If the file starts with 1a, I would like to add the following at the very beggining of the file If the file starts with 1b then I should add the following For files starting with 6 So on and so forth. Thus, at the end each file will... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change multiple file names

Hello, I have some files in a directory like: 01_07_2010_aa.txt 01_07_2010_bb.txt 01_07_2010_cc.txt 01_07_2010_dd.txt 01_07_2010_ee.txt 01_07_2010_ff.txt I want to change their names to : 3nm_aa.txt 3nm_bb.txt 3nm_cc.txt 3nm_dd.txt 3nm_ee.txt 3nm_ff.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple file names

Hi is it possible to change multiple files (~10k) names with out disturbing the data in it. ? input Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312480|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312483|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312484|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312482|.txt output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Legal and illegal bash variable names?

list of legal and illegal bash variable names and wht each is either illegal and ligal? 4. Seneca college, Toronto , Canada, peter wheeler, tech 154: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
5 Replies
UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)						    NUT Manual						      UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)

NAME
upscli_list_start - begin multi-item retrieval from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_list_start(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_list_start() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It builds a properly-formatted request from those elements and transmits it to upsd(8). Upon success, the caller must call upscli_list_next(3) to retrieve the elements of the list. Failure to retrieve the list will most likely result in the client getting out of sync with the server due to buffered data. USES
This function implements the "LIST" command in the protocol. As a result, you can use it to request many different things from the server. Some examples are: o LIST UPS o LIST VAR <ups> o LIST RW <ups> o LIST CMD <ups> o LIST ENUM <ups> <var> o LIST RANGE <ups> <var> QUERY FORMATTING
To see the list of variables on a UPS called su700, the protocol command would be LIST VAR su700. To start that list with this function, you would populate query and numq as follows: int numq; const char *query[2]; query[0] = "VAR"; query[1] = "su700"; numq = 2; All escaping of special characters and quoting of elements with spaces are handled for you inside this function. ERROR CHECKING
This function checks the response from upsd(8) against your query. If it is not starting a list, or is starting the wrong type of list, it will return an error code. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_list_start() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_fd(3), upscli_get(3), upscli_readline(3), upscli_sendline(3), upscli_ssl(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/31/2012 UPSCLI_LIST_START(3)