Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bash adding multiple names
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash adding multiple names Post 302465857 by Learnerabc on Sunday 24th of October 2010 04:40:34 PM
Old 10-24-2010
bash adding multiple names

Hi all,
I make this bash script in which there is one option to add a name in txt file. So when I run the script it ask me for the name. When i enter the name, that name gets added in a txt file. If i add the same name again, the message comes up, the name is already there

My question is.. if i want to add same name multiple times, how can i do that, and when i delete the name only one name gets deleted

for example

in txt file there is a name sam, now what i want is when i enter same again in the script, in txt file it should show up as 2 sam or 3 sam and so on. when i delete same in script it delete one same. if 2 sam are there after using delte in txt file it should have 1 sam.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script duplicate file names

I am trying to write a housekeeping bash script. Part of it involves searching all of my attached storage media for photographs and moving them into a single directory. The problem occurs when files have duplicate names, obviously a file called 001.jpg will get overwritten with another file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Multiple Lines to Multiple Files

Hello, I have three lines I need to add to hundreds of files. The files are all in the same format and contain the same information. I want to add the same information to the files. The new lines of information are similar. Here is an example of the three lines: line1: line2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayinthelife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Directory Names for Use as Bash Variables

Hi all: I have a directory where all of the subdirectories are named by the convention "images_#1:#2_Date." My goal is to get an array for each subdirectory that has the structure (#1,#2, int). I am able to use awk to print each subdirectory's values, but cannot figure out how to get them into an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aefskysa
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Names in multiple files

What's the best way to see if a common name exists in two separate files? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines to files based on their names

I have several files on a folder something like this: If the file starts with 1a, I would like to add the following at the very beggining of the file If the file starts with 1b then I should add the following For files starting with 6 So on and so forth. Thus, at the end each file will... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change multiple file names

Hello, I have some files in a directory like: 01_07_2010_aa.txt 01_07_2010_bb.txt 01_07_2010_cc.txt 01_07_2010_dd.txt 01_07_2010_ee.txt 01_07_2010_ff.txt I want to change their names to : 3nm_aa.txt 3nm_bb.txt 3nm_cc.txt 3nm_dd.txt 3nm_ee.txt 3nm_ff.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple file names

Hi is it possible to change multiple files (~10k) names with out disturbing the data in it. ? input Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312480|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312483|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312484|.txt Hynda|cgr10(+):100027702-1000312482|.txt output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Legal and illegal bash variable names?

list of legal and illegal bash variable names and wht each is either illegal and ligal? 4. Seneca college, Toronto , Canada, peter wheeler, tech 154: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
5 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2 Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3 Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4 Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.11 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)