Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sample solution for Firefox-3.6.10 pkg in solaris 10 for X86 Post 302465792 by alamin2010 on Sunday 24th of October 2010 09:53:57 AM
Old 10-24-2010
Sample solution for Firefox-3.6.10 pkg in solaris 10 for X86

download pkg from sunfreeware web site
(root user mode)

step1:
Code:
#mkdir opt/sft

step2:
download the package and save it in the opt/sft directory

step3:
Code:
#bunzip2 firefox-3.6.10.en-US.solaris-10-fcs-i386-pkg.bz2

step 4
Code:
#pkgadd -d ./firefox-3.6.10.en-US.solaris-10-fcs-i386-pkg

step5:
Code:
#cd /opt/sfw/lib/firefox
# ls -la | grep firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3936 Sep 16 16:53 firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32824 Sep 16 16:53 firefox-bin

(after installation is over, search for the firefox-bin file inside firefox directory)

step6:
Code:
#pwd
#/opt/sfw/lib/firefox
(follow this path then run run firefox-bin file)
#./firefox

***********sample output screenshot given,
please check the attachment*****************

(firefox web page will execute for the first time)

Nothing can be done alone once we are talking about unix and linux:

ref:\\ info

step 7:
To Enable Java run time (JVM):
Solaris 10, Java plugin is located at
Code:
# usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

(if you do not find it there please download from the web site)
step 8:
Add the desktop file and start from menu(pkgadd format only)
Code:
# cat >/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop<<EOF

Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Exec=/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/firefox
TryExec=/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/firefox
Icon=/opt/sfw/lib/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png
X-GNOME-DocPath=
Terminal=false
Name=firefox
GenericName=firefox
Comment=firefox
Categories=Application;Network;
EOF
***********sample output screenshot given,
please check the attachment*****************

(if you are unable to see the icon in the desktop click launch button->Applications->internet ->firefox icon)
Sample solution for Firefox-3.6.10 pkg in solaris 10 for X86-firefox-web-pagepng
Sample solution for Firefox-3.6.10 pkg in solaris 10 for X86-firefox-icon-.png

Last edited by alamin2010; 10-24-2010 at 11:02 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to alamin2010 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clustering solution for RH Linux AS and Solaris x86/AMD 64

Dear All Experts, Would like to know the maturity/ stability of Redhat Linux AS 3.0 and Solaris. My organization need to setup cluster solution. We are well-versed with Veritas Cluster on Solaris. We are thinking of waiting for certification support of the various ISV like Oracle, Veritas... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Install Solaris pkg via web

here's a link shows how to install pkgs directly via http sat.lksf_sat_pkgweb.tex - Less known Solaris Features - wikis.sun.com (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] Java Plugin not working w/Firefox 7 on Solaris x86

I upgraded my server to Firefox version 7.0.1 and created a symbolic link to /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so in the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins directory. According to the directions from the mozilla site, this should work. But whenever i attempt to access an app that requires... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How extract SUNWexplo.7.1.pkg & SUNWexplu.7.1.pkg from install_stb.sh?

Hi all, Could please guideas how to extract SUNWexplo.7.2.pkg & SUNWexplu.7.2.pkg from install_stb.sh. I need to upgrade my Sun Explorer to 7.2 version from 7.1 . This what written in read me file about its installation: The Lightweight Availability Collection Tool (LWACT) is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Pkg problem, one zone trying pkg.Oracle.com on port 1008

Hi Solaris Experts, The pkg utility on one of my non-global zones has stopped working, it's trying to connect to port 1008 at pkg.oracle.com I was using pkg successfully from this zone, but now it's showing this error: lzone1 $ pkg search xterm pkg: Some repositories failed to respond... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad101
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 11 pkg update question

Hi, I am trying to update my Solaris 11 system's Java 7 version to 1.7.0.65. I tried to do a pke update, and it only updated it to version 60. When I do a pkg list or search, i can see 65 is available but it wont update to it. I am getting this error, and I do not know how to get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Pkg update: No solution was found to satisfy constraints

I have an x86 Solaris box running 11.2 and have run into the following issue when attempting to run a package update. Has anyone else come across this issue and resolved it successfully, or am I waiting on Oracle to release other updated packages? uname -a SunOS <hostname> 5.11 11.2... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nova_cyclist
13 Replies

8. Solaris

# pkg publisher gives bash: pkg: command not found

This is the operating system im using Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10s_u9wos_14a SPARC I need to install some packages by setting local repository While i run the below command # pkg publisher command returns bash: pkg: command not found while looking for /usr/bin/pkg i get bash:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Recover Solaris 11 pkg database

Hi, I was messing with pkgsrc and wanted to start fresh so I manually deleted the /var/pkg directory on Solaris 11 :eek: (of course I was supposed to delete the /var/db folder instead)... Anyways... I've basically bricked the Solaris11 Package Manager. Do you know if there is any way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testers1717
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to install pkg lsof in Solaris 11?

hi downloaded the pkg and installed the pkg from root user .But still when i run command lsof and man lsof .No command found is the error. I tried by pkgadd -d (.pkg file). Please help me ---------- Post updated at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:41 PM ---------- This is what i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaithanyaa
8 Replies