Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Block device fs vs normal directory Post 302465717 by stevenswj on Saturday 23rd of October 2010 08:20:39 PM
Old 10-23-2010
Block device fs vs normal directory

I talked with this guy who seems to think loop mounting a fs ext3 image on a directory, as opposed to just using the underlying filesystem, will work better as far as IO conflicts. I have no idea why this would be better? I haven't been able to contact him.

Basically we have a daemon that creates a bunch of files on a directory, and constantly reads and writes to them. This has resulted in many io conflicts such that some reads and some writes are being blocked.

Why would a block device work better than a normal directory as far as IO conflicts are concerned?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Double post. Continue here

Last edited by Scott; 10-23-2010 at 09:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Device directory

I have moved 2 fiber cards into the 2 faster PCI slots of a Sunfire v880. However , in the /devices directory there exists an entry which now points to disks that no longer exist ie for example: /devices/pci@9,700000/SUNW,qlc@2/ssd@w2100000c50548ed1,0:a This PCI controller (pci@9,700000)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdr011
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to know if a directory is normal one or subdomain?

there are 2 directiries under public_html directory: public_html/images public_html/pictures "images" is a normal directory (uploaded by ftp) and "pictures" is a subdomain (created in cPanel). if using cpanel, I know "pictures" is subdomain because it is displayed as subdomain in cpanel.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hello20009876
1 Replies

3. Solaris

block device problem

Hi ...... I have file system problem when i try to mount get the following message : mount: /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0s7 not a block device .... I run fsck it's ok ,,,, after run newfs -N /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s7 and fsck -o b=535952 /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s7 .............it's ok ........ At the and when i try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
2 Replies

4. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

5. Linux

Query about creating sysfs directory under device driver

Hi all, Currently i am involved in developing a device driver for a custom hardware. My linux stack already has the sysfs directory structure /sys/class/hwmon/ My need is that, while loading my device driver i need to create a "xyz" sysfs directory inside hwmon sysfs directory as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbalu
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to Block the USB device

Hi friends, I wanna know how to block USB devices in my RedHat flavor Operating system. regards, Prakash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
3 Replies

7. Linux

Block device fs vs normal directory

I use CentOS I talked with this guy who seems to think loop mounting a fs ext3 image on a directory, as opposed to just using the underlying filesystem, will work better as far as IO conflicts. I have no idea why this would be better? I haven't been able to contact him. Basically we have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
1 Replies

8. Hardware

DD command using block device as input

Hi, I am trying to measure the speed of reading a given block size using the dd command. However depending on which input I use: a regular file (on the same device) or /dev/sdb1, I get some really different results. $sudo sh -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'; dd if=pirate of=/dev/null... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nytty
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
E2IMAGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							E2IMAGE(8)

NAME
e2image - Save critical ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem metadata to a file SYNOPSIS
e2image [ -rsI ] device image-file DESCRIPTION
The e2image program will save critical ext2, ext3, or ext4 filesystem metadata located on device to a file specified by image-file. The image file may be examined by dumpe2fs and debugfs, by using the -i option to those programs. This can assist an expert in recovering cat- astrophically corrupted filesystems. In the future, e2fsck will be enhanced to be able to use the image file to help recover a badly dam- aged filesystem. If image-file is -, then the output of e2image will be sent to standard output, so that the output can be piped to another program, such as gzip(1). (Note that this is currently only supported when creating a raw image file using the -r option, since the process of creating a normal image file currently requires random access to the file, which cannot be done using a pipe. This restriction will hopefully be lifted in a future version of e2image.) It is a very good idea to create image files for all of filesystems on a system and save the partition layout (which can be generated using the fdisk -l command) at regular intervals --- at boot time, and/or every week or so. The image file should be stored on some filesystem other than the filesystem whose data it contains, to ensure that this data is accessible in the case where the filesystem has been badly damaged. To save disk space, e2image creates the image file as a sparse file. Hence, if the image file needs to be copied to another location, it should either be compressed first or copied using the --sparse=always option to the GNU version of cp. The size of an ext2 image file depends primarily on the size of the filesystems and how many inodes are in use. For a typical 10 gigabyte filesystem, with 200,000 inodes in use out of 1.2 million inodes, the image file will be approximately 35 megabytes; a 4 gigabyte filesys- tem with 15,000 inodes in use out of 550,000 inodes will result in a 3 megabyte image file. Image files tend to be quite compressible; an image file taking up 32 megabytes of space on disk will generally compress down to 3 or 4 megabytes. RESTORING FILESYSTEM METADATA USING AN IMAGE FILE
The -I option will cause e2image to install the metadata stored in the image file back to the device. It can be used to restore the filesystem metadata back to the device in emergency situations. WARNING!!!! The -I option should only be used as a desperation measure when other alternatives have failed. If the filesystem has changed since the image file was created, data will be lost. In general, you should make a full image backup of the filesystem first, in case you wish to try other recovery strategies afterwards. RAW IMAGE FILES
The -r option will create a raw image file instead of a normal image file. A raw image file differs from a normal image file in two ways. First, the filesystem metadata is placed in the proper position so that e2fsck, dumpe2fs, debugfs, etc. can be run directly on the raw image file. In order to minimize the amount of disk space consumed by a raw image file, the file is created as a sparse file. (Beware of copying or compressing/decompressing this file with utilities that don't understand how to create sparse files; the file will become as large as the filesystem itself!) Secondly, the raw image file also includes indirect blocks and directory blocks, which the standard image file does not have, although this may change in the future. Raw image files are sometimes used when sending filesystems to the maintainer as part of bug reports to e2fsprogs. When used in this capacity, the recommended command is as follows (replace hda1 with the appropriate device): e2image -r /dev/hda1 - | bzip2 > hda1.e2i.bz2 This will only send the metadata information, without any data blocks. However, the filenames in the directory blocks can still reveal information about the contents of the filesystem that the bug reporter may wish to keep confidential. To address this concern, the -s option can be specified. This will cause e2image to scramble directory entries and zero out any unused portions of the directory blocks before writing the image file. However, the -s option will prevent analysis of problems related to hash-tree indexed directories. AUTHOR
e2image was written by Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu). AVAILABILITY
e2image is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
dumpe2fs(8), debugfs(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.11 March 2010 E2IMAGE(8)