Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: @ character in vi editor
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting @ character in vi editor Post 302465653 by ctsgnb on Saturday 23rd of October 2010 07:12:19 AM
Old 10-23-2010
Are you sure it in an ASCII format ?

run the command "file" on yourfile like this :

Code:
# file yourfile

Example :

Code:
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$ file /users/home/ctsgnb/bin/ksh
/users/home/ctsgnb/bin/ksh: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, for FreeBSD 8.0 (800505), stripped
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$

here you can see that you are trying to dislay which in fact is an executable.

Your should then user the command strings instead of a cat or a vi ... (executable files or data files should not be edited with a text editor since they are binaries

Code:
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$ strings /users/home/ctsgnb/bin/ksh | tail
;; res_nopt_rdata()
;; res_nopt()
;; res_opt()... ENDS0 DNSSEC
;; res_nmkquery(%s, %s, %s, %s)
$FreeBSD: src/lib/csu/amd64/crtn.S,v 1.6.30.1 2009/08/03 08:13:06 kensmith Exp $
Service unavailable
RuneMagiNONE
FreeBSD
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

underline character in vi editor

I want to print a man page for a command in unix, this is what I did man command > command.txt but when I view the output file command.txt I found there are lot of _^H characters that in the man page are actually underline character, how can I replace this _^H with underline character? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Melissa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. SuSE

<92> unknown character when opened with Vi editor in Linux

Hi, One of our applications has this string : xxx ¿ yyyyy We are on Linux Suse and the character set is en_US.UTF-8. Our requirement is to replace this special character ¿ with a space. When we open the file containing this string using VI editor we see the same character as <92> xxx... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxTest
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending character "0" in vi editor for all lines between 1 and 40.

I have to append character "0" for lines between 1 and 40 in a file. I tried the following code. :s/^0,1,40/g Input: Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"vi" text editor character encoding?

Hi! I've got a shell account on a FreeBSD machine. It doesn't have 'vim' installed, but only the original 'vi' text editor ("Version 1.79 (10/23/96) The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.") So, in PuTTY I've chosen "UTF-8 translation" to have my non-english characters appear correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gew
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J for newline character does not work inside vi editor

Hi friends, I am trying to add a newline char ('\n') between the query and the commit statement in the following shell script. #! /bin/sh echo "select * from tab; commit;" > data.sql I have tried typing in "Ctrl-V + Ctrl-J" combination which has inserted ^@ (NUL) character but the commit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
times(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)