Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting displaying multiple lines using AWk Post 302465644 by puttster on Saturday 23rd of October 2010 05:33:10 AM
Old 10-23-2010
displaying multiple lines using AWk

say I'm doing awk 'NR==534'
Is there a way to display 534 535 536 537?
without appending to a variable? per line? maybe an easier way with a different command?
My first impression was NR==534-537 but that would be too easy :P

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Join multiple lines

Hi, I have data with broken lines: Sample data: "12"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:10:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|" 2453748"|"08:15:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|" c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" In the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print multiple lines with awk

Hi everyone! I'm not new to Unix, but I've never used awk before. I tried to look up this information on several sites and forums, I also looked in the documentation but I haven't found a solution yet. I would like to print the previous 3 lines before and the following 4 lines after the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcsabus
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Break lines to multiple lines.

Input File: nawk -F "|" '{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { if (i == 2) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,a,"")} else if (i == 3) {gsub(",","#",$i);z=split($i,b,"")} } if(z > 0) for(i=1;i<=z;i++) print $1,a,"Test"; if(w > 0) for(j=1;j<=w;j++) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK record in multiple lines

Hi everyboby this is my problem I Have this input 1111;222 222 2;333 3333;4444 111; 22222;33 33; 444 and I need this output 1111;2222222;3333333;4444 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: agritur
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting multiple lines with awk

awk '/<login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient">/{p++} /<login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient">/ && p==1 {$0="Mulitple lines here\n"$0}1' login-config.xml In the above awk code inside shell script, i am having problems when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match multiple columns in multiple lines in single file

Hi, Input 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 7387 7898 chrX.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr21.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr9.fa chr5.fa 7898 7387 chrX.fa chr3.fa Desired Output 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 2 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to filter multiple lines

Hi. I need to filter lines based upon matches in multiple tab-separated columns. For all matching occurrences in column 1, check the corresponding column 4. IF all column 4 entries are identical, discard all lines. If even one entry in column 4 is different, then keep all lines. How can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse multiple lines

What is the correct syntax to have the awk parse the next line as well? The next in bold is where I think it should go, but I wanted to ask the experts since I am a beginner. The file to be parsed is attached as well. Thank you :). awk 'NR==2 {split($2,a,"");b=substr(a,1,length(a-1));print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk multiple lines

When your data is consistent it is easy to use awk with multiple lines like this. Can we please make this portable so I can use this in both RHEL and AIX? awk '{RS="/directory1" } $7 ~ /drwxr-xr-x/ {print $1 " " $7}' file What do I do when the data is not consistent? When your data is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies
MORE(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MORE(1)

NAME
more - file perusal filter for crt viewing SYNOPSIS
more [options] file... DESCRIPTION
more is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time. This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that less(1) provides more(1) emulation plus extensive enhancements. OPTIONS
Options are also taken from the environment variable MORE (make sure to precede them with a dash (-)) but command-line options will over- ride those. -d Prompt with "[Press space to continue, 'q' to quit.]", and display "[Press 'h' for instructions.]" instead of ringing the bell when an illegal key is pressed. -l Do not pause after any line containing a ^L (form feed). -f Count logical lines, rather than screen lines (i.e., long lines are not folded). -p Do not scroll. Instead, clear the whole screen and then display the text. Notice that this option is switched on automatically if the executable is named page. -c Do not scroll. Instead, paint each screen from the top, clearing the remainder of each line as it is displayed. -s Squeeze multiple blank lines into one. -u Suppress underlining. -number The screen size to use, in number of lines. +number Start displaying each file at line number. +/string The string to be searched in each file before starting to display it. --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. COMMANDS
Interactive commands for more are based on vi(1). Some commands may be preceded by a decimal number, called k in the descriptions below. In the following descriptions, ^X means control-X. h or ? Help; display a summary of these commands. If you forget all other commands, remember this one. SPACE Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. z Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. Argument becomes new default. RETURN Display next k lines of text. Defaults to 1. Argument becomes new default. d or ^D Scroll k lines. Default is current scroll size, initially 11. Argument becomes new default. q or Q or INTERRUPT Exit. s Skip forward k lines of text. Defaults to 1. f Skip forward k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. b or ^B Skip backwards k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. Only works with files, not pipes. ' Go to the place where the last search started. = Display current line number. /pattern Search for kth occurrence of regular expression. Defaults to 1. n Search for kth occurrence of last regular expression. Defaults to 1. !command or :!command Execute command in a subshell. v Start up an editor at current line. The editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined, or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to vi if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR is defined. ^L Redraw screen. :n Go to kth next file. Defaults to 1. :p Go to kth previous file. Defaults to 1. :f Display current file name and line number. . Repeat previous command. ENVIRONMENT
The more command respects the following environment variables, if they exist: MORE This variable may be set with favored options to more. SHELL Current shell in use (normally set by the shell at login time). TERM The terminal type used by more to get the terminal characteristics necessary to manipulate the screen. VISUAL The editor the user prefers. Invoked when command key v is pressed. EDITOR The editor of choice when VISUAL is not specified. SEE ALSO
less(1), vi(1) AUTHORS
Eric Shienbrood, UC Berkeley Modified by Geoff Peck, UCB to add underlining, single spacing Modified by John Foderaro, UCB to add -c and MORE environment variable HISTORY
The more command appeared in 3.0BSD. This man page documents more version 5.19 (Berkeley 6/29/88), which is currently in use in the Linux community. Documentation was produced using several other versions of the man page, and extensive inspection of the source code. AVAILABILITY
The more command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux February 2014 MORE(1)