Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Search for an exact string in a Terminal Post 302465586 by kurumi on Friday 22nd of October 2010 08:15:45 PM
Old 10-22-2010
you can use \b

when viewing man, type any of these
Code:
/\b-c\b
/\b-c
/-c\b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search a File for a string exact match

Hi, Can you help please. I have the following comand: if ]; then l_valid_string="Y" fi The problem I am trying to solve is that my l_string = ABC and my file contains ABC ABC_EFG I only want back the value ABC exact match. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep exact string/ avoid substring search

Hi All, I have 2 programs running by the following names: a_testloop.sh testloop.sh I read these programs names from a file and store each of them into a variable called $program. On the completion of the above programs i should send an email. When i use grep with ps to see if any of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for exact string

Hi All, I need to search in a csv file as mentioend in the Appendix A for a exact word lets "TEST". But using teh below command iam getting TEST1234, TEST12 and otehr entries as well. the problem is i check this condition to check to add a record to a table by making sure it does not... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace exact string

Hello Everyone, Im trying to run a search and replace of exact strings and the strings that im using variables that are passed through an array in a while loop. Here is a snip of my code: USEROLD=`cat oldusers` USERNEW=`cat newusers` USEROLDARRAY=( $USEROLD ) USERNEWARRAY=( $USERNEW )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skizim
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SED or AWK to search and replace an exact string

I have a file DS1 DDS DS I want to replace only "DS" to "DSmail.blah.com" in a lot of files. I tried sed 's/DS/DSmail.blah.com' but it changes all the lines . thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies
tracker-search(1)						   User Commands						 tracker-search(1)

NAME
tracker-search - Search all content for keywords SYNOPSIS
tracker-search [OPTION...] EXPRESSION [EXPRESSION...] DESCRIPTION
tracker-search searches all indexed content for EXPRESSION. The resource in which EXPRESSION matches must exist (see --all for more infor- mation). All results are returned in ascending order. In all cases, if no EXPRESSION is given for an argument (like --folders for example) then ALL items in that category are returned instead. EXPRESSION One or more terms to search. The default operation is a logical AND. For logical OR operations, see -r. OPTIONS
-?, --help Give a short help message. -l, --limit=N Limit search to N results. The default is 512. -o, --offset=N Offset the search results by N. For example, start at item number 10 in the results. The default is 0. -r, --or-operator Use OR for search terms instead of AND (the default) -d, --detailed Show the unique URN associated with each search result. This does not apply to --music-albums and --music-artists. -a, --all Show results which might not be available. This might bebecause a removable media is not mounted for example. Without this option, resources are only shown if they exist. This option applies to all command line switches except --music-albums and --music-artists. -f, --files=EXPRESSION Search for files of any type matching EXPRESSION (optional). -e, --folders=EXPRESSION Search for folders matching EXPRESSION (optional). -m, --music=EXPRESSION Search for music files matching EXPRESSION (optional). --music-albums=ALBUM Search for music albums matching ALBUM (optional). --music-artists=ARTIST Search for music artists matching ARTIST (optional). -l, --images=EXPRESSION Search for images matching EXPRESSION (optional). -v, --videos=EXPRESSION Search for videos matching EXPRESSION (optional). -t, --documents=EXPRESSION Search for documents matching EXPRESSION (optional). -e, --emails=EXPRESSION Search for emails matching EXPRESSION (optional). Returns a list of subjects for emails found. -c, --contacts=EXPRESSION Search for contacts matching EXPRESSION (optional). Returns a list of names and email addresses found. -V, --version Print version. SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-tag(1), tracker-info(1). GNU
July 2009 tracker-search(1)