Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Need to copy file from Linux to DOS. Post 302465490 by Lakris on Friday 22nd of October 2010 02:41:14 PM
Old 10-22-2010
Oh my good!
Smilie
Ok, first of all I would strongly suggest any other form of transfer than serial. But it depends on how much You want to transfer, in which direction or whether learning about serial communication is the main objective of Your undertaking, rather than just copying some bytes.

And we need to know more. Does Your DOS-machine have floppy, CD, USB, (I assume it doesn't have a network card?), is it very old Smilie, does it have any Windows 3.* on top of it, does it have to keep running DOS5, will You use it as a (serial) terminal to the Linux-machine, have You as of now had any working contact over serial... and so on.

Because this will let us know more about what options are available. Smilie

Best regards,
Lakris

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy on dos floppy?

can we copy files to a dos floppy on a unix system? how? thanx in advance raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux, copy a:\file to /tmp in linux?

hi, i am on linux 8. i wanted to copy a file from my a:\filename to my linux 8 /tmp directroy. how do i do this or any directions as in how to accompilsh. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DOS Debug for linux

Hi guys. I'm in desperate need of a program that can allow me to write files to different sectors of a disk (floppy), in the same way the DOS Debug program can (with a command such as -w 100 0 0 1 to write the bootsector of the disk). Does anyone know any links or names of programs that could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for copy file from CD to Linux box

Hi , I have simple question as i am beginner , I have to copy one file from cd(compact disc) to my linux box on some directory. With which command and how can i do that? Thanks sam71 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from CDROM to DOS Directory

Hi Everyone, :) Could someone PLEASE tell me how to copy some DOS files from a CDROM to a DOS readable directory in UNIX. I imagine that sounds strange, but that's what I need to do. I am somewhat familiar with... Inserting the CDROM mount /mnt/cdrom ls /mnt/cdrom eject /mnt/cdrom... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greystoke
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and paste certain many lines of huge file in linux

Dear All, I am working with windoes OS but remote a linux machine. I wonder the way to copy an paste some part of a huge file in linux machine. the contain of file like as follow: ... dump annealling all custom 10 anneal_*.dat id type x y z q timestep 0.02 run 200000 Memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree Double post. Replies here moved to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
0 Replies

8. SuSE

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree (34 Replies)
34 Replies
mmove(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mmove(1)

Name
       mmove - move or rename an MSDOS file or subdirectory

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mmove command is used to moves or renames an existing MS-DOS file or subdirectory.
       mmove [-v] [-D clash_option] sourcefile targetfile
       mmove [-v]  [-D clash_option] sourcefile [ sourcefiles... ] targetdirectory

Mmove moves or renames an existing MS-DOS file or subdirectory. Unlike the MS-DOS version of MOVE, mmove is able  to  move  subdirectories.
       Files  or  directories  can  only be moved within one file system. Data cannot be moved from MS-DOS to Unix or vice-versa.  If you omit the
       drive letter from the target file or directory, the same letter as for the source is assumed.  If you omit the drive letter from all param-
       eters, drive a: is assumed by default.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13								  mmove(1)