Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Apending a list of users to a file Post 302465439 by Jimmy_c on Friday 22nd of October 2010 12:03:01 PM
Old 10-22-2010
Apending a list of users to a file

Hi guys,

As part of my UNIx homework, I have created a file named dir_listing, which is based within directories. This file already contains the root directory root_dir. I am now required to append a list of users to dir_listing.
i can obtain the list by simply typing users, but how would I append this list to dir_listing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain list of users ?

How to obtain list of users found in /home/ and append it to a file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby36
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we get the list of users who accessed a file

Hi all, I will thankful if anybody helps me in finding out the users who accessed any of our files. Thanks in advance Chanakya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

how to list locked users in hp-ux?

Actually.I have 2 questions to ask. 1. how to list locked account in hp-ux? 2.how to list locked account in linux(redhat)? I can use the command "passwd -S -username" to list a account who were locked . who knows how to list all locked accounts with one command. Thanks!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiezr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the list of users who modified a file

Dear all, Need a quick help/suggestion on monitoring a particular directory . We have a deployment directory say (/users/integration/deploy ) under this there are several files which can be edited by a number of users - We need to write a script which will check this deployment directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

list of users

Hello!Does anybody know how to solve this script: ,,write a shell script which displays a list of names of users who have created files "*. c" in the last day."? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theodoraa
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users list

Hi i would like to know were the folder that contain file with list of all users ? And were i can learn about what kind of folder i have and wheat they have inside? question 2. when i write ls -a i see all directories and then i choose for example Documents and inside Documents i typed again... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iliya24
1 Replies

7. Programming

Perl list of users

Hi All i need to write something in perl that on a mac list all the users accounts, and then carries out a copy, ( rsync ) on each one it finds. i was going to use glob, but i want to exclude a certain result here is what i have use Getopt::Std; use POSIX qw(tmpnam); use lib... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

8. AIX

Get List of users+IPs

Hello! We have an AIX box (6.3), we are looking for a way to get list of logged in users and their IP. The issue we have is running who -ub shows hostname and we are wanting to get the ip. Any suggestions of ideas? Thanks in advance for any help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: entropy1980
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup apending data each time i run script

I have a problem here. i am running my script in nohup but if i run it 2 or three time , in my output i see it is giving me old data as well, in-spite i delete nohup.out file. i tried to look a lot from where the old data is coming. can some one tell me how the old data is also coming again and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the Manager of Users in AD - Using list- Get-ADuser

Is there any command that can used in Linux that export usernames and their manager's name from AD using bash shell script? I know this can be done using powershell but I need to use Linux for this procedure. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
2 Replies
lappend(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       lappend(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lappend - Append list elements onto a variable SYNOPSIS
lappend varName ?value value value ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command treats the variable given by varName as a list and appends each of the value arguments to that list as a separate element, with spaces between elements. If varName doesn't exist, it is created as a list with elements given by the value arguments. Lappend is similar to append except that the values are appended as list elements rather than raw text. This command provides a relatively efficient way to build up large lists. For example, ``lappend a $b'' is much more efficient than ``set a [concat $a [list $b]]'' when $a is long. EXAMPLE
Using lappend to build up a list of numbers. % set var 1 1 % lappend var 2 1 2 % lappend var 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 SEE ALSO
list(1T), lindex(1T), linsert(1T), llength(1T), lset(1T) lsort(1T), lrange(1T) | KEYWORDS
append, element, list, variable ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl lappend(1T)