Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log Capture for Background Process Post 302465248 by citaylor on Friday 22nd of October 2010 02:52:56 AM
Old 10-22-2010
Why cant you use >> or tee ?

Code:
nohup ./hello &

Would capture the output into "nohup.out"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hello, This has probably been answered in other forms, however I would like to confirm this statement before I use it in production. Will this syntax work for a background process? echo "nohup server_process1 >/dir1/nohup.server_process1 2>&1 &" | ksh Please advise. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

3. Solaris

how to capture oracle export log while running as background process

I ran the Oracle 9i export command from a terminal to export out a big table using "exp andrew/password file=andrew.dmp log=andrew.log" From the terminal I can see that the export is running as there is some output from the oracle export job. The export job is not complete yet. When i go check... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hippo2020
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in background process

Hi, I have a main script(main.ksh) within which I have called another script(sub.ksh). The sub.ksh script is made to run in the background using '&'. The main.ksh script logs the information in a logfile main_ddmmyy and the sub.ksh script also logs the information in the log file sub_ddmmyy.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

i gave a copy process in the background( to copy around 100GB) , while in progress, the session got terminated. when i relogged in and checked the destination folder the copying was in progress... how could it happen(copying) when the shell terminates??? :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Process.

How to create a backgrond processes ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of command triggered in background

Is there any way to trigger a sequence of commands in parallel and capture their output in variables? e.g. something on the following lines x=`echo "X" &` y=`echo "Y" &` z=`echo "Z" &` so that $x, $y, and $z evaluate to X, Y and Z res. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
SCREENCAPTURE(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  SCREENCAPTURE(1)

NAME
screencapture -- capture images from the screen and save them to a file or the clipboard SYNOPSIS
screencapture [-SWCTMPcimswxto] file DESCRIPTION
The screencapture utility is not very well documented to date. A list of options follows. -c Force screen capture to go to the clipboard. -C Capture the cursor as well as the screen. Only allowed in non-interactive modes. -i Capture screen interactively, by selection or window. The control key will cause the screen shot to go to the clipboard. The space key will toggle between mouse selection and window selection modes. The escape key will cancel the interactive screen shot. -m Only capture the main monitor, undefined if -i is set. -M Open the taken picture in a new Mail message. -o In window capture mode, do not capture the shadow of the window. -P Open the taken picture in a Preview window. -s Only allow mouse selection mode. -S In window capture mode, capture the screen instead of the window. -t <format> Image format to create, default is png (other options include pdf, jpg, tiff and other formats). -T <seconds> Take the picture after a delay of <seconds>, default is 5. -w Only allow window selection mode. -W Start interaction in window selection mode. -x Do not play sounds. -a Do not capture attached windows. -r Do not add screen dpi meta data to captured file. files where to save the screen capture, 1 file per screen BUGS
Better documentation is needed for this utility. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
To capture screen content while logged in via ssh, you must launch screencapture in the same mach bootstrap hierarchy as loginwindow: PID=pid of loginwindow sudo launchctl bsexec $PID screencapture [options] HISTORY
A screencapture utility first appeared in Mac OS X v10.2. Mac OS June 16, 2004 Mac OS