Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding & Copying files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding & Copying files Post 302465000 by Y-T on Thursday 21st of October 2010 11:52:06 AM
Old 10-21-2010
thank you ctsngb, this worked perfectly well and helped me saving time a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding and copying files !

Hi , I have a question relating to finding and copying files. i need to find the .pdf files from the specified directory which has subdirectories too. I only need .pdf files and not the directories and need to copy those files into my current directory. copy files from :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bregoty
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding and Copying Email

I have to create a bash script that will find Feedback emails and copy them to a labFeedback folder in my mail directory. I have an idea in my head on what commands can be used for this (find obviously among them). However, I have no idea where to start. I'm not sure what info needs to be given,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Joesgrrrl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in finding files & processing them

Hi All, I have a requirement to search 3 files in a directory and process them after they arrive. I know the names of the files and also the directory where I have to search them. These things are going to be constant. I used the "test -f" command to search a single file. That is working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatipevekar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying of files by userB, dir & files owned by userA

I am userB and have a dir /temp1 This dir is owned by me. How do I recursively copy files from another users's dir userA? I need to preserve the original user who created files, original group information, original create date, mod date etc. I tried cp -pr /home/userA/* . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding duplicates then copying, almost there, maybe?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to help my wife with a project, she has exported 200 images from many different folders, unfortunately there was a problem with the export and I need to find the master versions so that she doesn't have to go through and select them again. I need to: For each image in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhinoskin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding, copying, assembling

Hi everybody, I've been running some analyses, the results of which have been stored in a sequential manner with a directory structure like step0, step1, step2, ... for iterations 0-2, for example. Each iteration contains several nested folders, with three pieces of information I need. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JDenton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a text in files & replacing it with unique strings

Hallo Everyone. I have to admit I'm shell scripting illiterate . I need to find certain strings in several text files and replace each of the string by unique & corresponding text. I prepared a csv file with 3 columns: <filename>;<old_pattern>;<new_pattern> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordom
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Challenges in finding and copying the block

Hi, I have a below challenging task where iam unable to find the block and copy the same into a file. I tried my luck,howver iam unable to reach the first and second step..Can anyone help me with a clue or with the commands so that i can give a try. 1. search the <number>9966993366</number>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding and copying list of files using bash shell script

Dear All, I have a situation where I want to copy some files of type .txt. These files are o/p from one program. Some of the files are named as fileName .txt instead of fileName.txt after fileName by mistake I have specified "space". Now I want to move these files as follows. mv fileName*... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
13 Replies
cvmkfile(1)                                                        cvmkfile(1)

NAME
cvmkfile - Create a pre-allocated file SYNOPSIS
cvmkfile [-k <key>] [-p] [-s] [-w] [-z] <size>[k|m|g] <filename> DESCRIPTION
cvmkfile can be used to pre-allocate a file on the Xsan volume. This is useful and preferable when preparing a file for use in a real-time or streaming environment as the entire file is represented in only one file system extent. Additionally, a file can be placed onto a specific storage pool by specifying the <key> value, which is used as the affin- ity locator. See cvfs_config(4) for more details about affinities. USAGE
The -k <key> optionally tells the file system where to place the data file. If an Affinity Key is specified, the file is placed on storage pools that are specified to support this key. If there is no storage pool with the key specified, then the file is placed in non-exclusive data pools. If there are no non-exclusive data pools, then ENOSPC (no space) is returned. The -p option forces the allocation and any subsequent expansions to be fitted "perfectly" as multiples of the InodeExpandMin configuration parameter. The allocation extent will always line up on and be a per- fect multiple of the blocks specified in InodeExpandMin. The -s option forces the allocation to line up on the beginning block modulus of the storage pool. This can help performance in situations where the I/O size perfectly spans the width of the storage pool's disks. The -w option sets the file size to be equal to <size>. Without this option the blocks are allocated but the size is set to zero. NOTE: Unless the -z option is used, the new file will contain undefined data. Using the -w option is not recommended unless absolutely needed. The -z option causes the file to be physically zeroed out. This can take a significant amount of time. The <size> argument specifies the number of bytes, kilobytes(k), megabytes(m) or gigabytes(g) to allocate for the file. There is no guarantee that all requested space will be allocated. If there is insufficient contiguous available space to satisfy the requested amount then a "best effort" will be performed. In this case a success value is returned even though not all of the requested amount is allocated to the file. Even though the allocation may not be fully satisfied, if the -w option is specified then the file size will still reflect the requested <size> value. EXAMPLES
Make a file of one gigabyte with zero length. Allocate it on a storage pool that favors the media type 6100_n8. rock # cvmkfile -k 6100_n8 1g foobar SEE ALSO
cvfs_config(4), cvmkdir(1) Xsan File System December 2005 cvmkfile(1)