Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing a bunch of lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing a bunch of lines Post 302464974 by BeefStu on Thursday 21st of October 2010 11:08:06 AM
Old 10-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
nawk '/^ *0<</ {n=5}; n && --n{next}1' myFile

Thanks for the help. Just curious, why nawk and not awk is this statement not portable amongst different flavors of UNIX (ie Solaris, AIX, HPUX).

I also like to know if I got understand your code. I get the matching part.
The second part, is because I have four lines to delete you set your varable n=5, decrement it and delete a line at a time?

Very eloquant solutuon.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines from a file

Hello i have 2 files file1 and file2 as shown below file1 110010000000206|567810008161509 110010000000207|567810072227627 110010000000208|567811368851555 110010000000209|567811422513652 110010000000210|567812130217683 110010000000211|567813220211182 110010000000212|567813449322589... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines having #

I have a script which goes to different directories and gives the values of all the input parameters, Something as follows cd /opt grep script-filter = yes *.conf grep user-and-group-in-same-suffix = yes *.conf grep worker-threads = 300 *.conf grep failover-auth = *.conf grep... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: openspark
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last two lines

I have an awk script that replaces ">" with % %> %< SOURCE", ++i %( PHASE 1", i I use the following script />/ { if ( FNR > 1 ) { print "%)" print "%>" } print "" print "%< SOURCE", ++i (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines without text

How do I remove line that do not contain text, but that do contain tabs? I have tried the command cat file | awk NF but that doesn't work when the lines contain tabs (and spaces). I have also tried: cat file | sed '/^$/d' (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Lines that Contain a Certain String

I'm writing a UNIX script to interpret text files and search for certain strings to output and need to delete certain lines that contain characters that I would like removed from the file. The rest of the script is already completed and I have it output how I would like, but I cannot seem to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DetroitLolcat
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining broken lines and removing empty lines

Hi - I have req to join broken lines and remove empty lines but should NOT be in one line. It has to be as is line by line. The challenge here is there is no end of line/start of line char. thanks in advance Source:- 2003-04-34024|04-10-2003|Claims|Claim|01-13-2003|Air Bag:Driver;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackceasar123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help to removing repetitive lines

Hello SuperUsers! First i wanna say my english sucks.. Don't hate me for that. :rolleyes: I need to make a Bash for removing smilar lines from an output file. My output file always same. Line 1 & 2 Stays. And others similar to this lines needs to be delete. </UsageData><?xml version="1.0"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: morphin
4 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)