Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strings to integers in an arithmetic loop Post 302464887 by Franklin52 on Thursday 21st of October 2010 08:24:34 AM
Old 10-21-2010
What should be the desired output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop with Strings as parameters

I'm trying to create a script with a for loop that take strings in as the parameters. Some of the strings have spaces in them, and I can't get it to work properly. For example: #!/bin/ksh INFILE=snapshot.log OUTFILE=summary.out a="Lock waits" b="Deadlocks detected" for PARAM in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadishmj
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in while loop producing arithmetic output

Hi all Just wondering if someone can help me with this. I'm trying to write a script that processes the output of another file and prints only the lines I want from it. This is only the second script I have written so please bare with me here. I have referred to the literature and some of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javathecat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic operation between columns using loop variable

Hi I have a file with 3 columns. say, infile: 1 50 68 34 3 23 23 4 56 ------- ------- I want to generate n files from this file using a loop so that 1st column in output file is (column1 of infile/(2*n+2.561)) I am doing like this: for ((i=1; i<=3; i++)) do a=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Surabhi_so_mh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer arithmetic for list of strings

When i want to use a list of strings char *list; i never understand it well. Here is an easy example. It took me long to figure it out, searching the web didn't help much: #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { char *list = {"foo", "bar", "baz"}; char **pl; int... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tornow
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -- telling the difference between strings and integers

This should be a really easy question. My input file will have a few fields that are strings in the first line, which I will extract and save as variables. The rest of the fields on every line will be integers and floating point numbers. Can awk tell the difference somehow? That is, is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings to integers?

Hi, I'm totally new at this, so help will be appreciated. I have a directory with a bunch of files in it. The files are named xinteger_yinteger_zinteger.vtk (eg, x3_y0_z-1.vtk). I want to read the filenames and then assign the integers to variables that I then can use in expressions. So, for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate strings in a a for loop

hi guys, I have this question. I am creating an script to that read a text file(.ini) with the list of the patterns to find for example: EPMS_VO EMPS_PARTS Then it check if file have been delivered in a folder and process it with each pattern, but I am having problems concatenting the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danman
7 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)