Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare fields in 2 files using AWK Post 302464788 by rashmisb on Thursday 21st of October 2010 12:20:12 PM
Old 10-21-2010
I have a urgent requirement with AWK and I am new to AWK scripting , kindly help me with the below problem

I would be having file where I would get information about the input files and the fields to compare .

info_file to AWK
------------
input_1=file1
input_2=file2
key_field|display|compare
Y|seq|y
N|Num1|n
N|Num2|y

file1
-----
seq|num1|num2
-------------
000|Abc|bcd
001|asd|qwe
002|efg|hij

file2
-------

seq|num1|num2
-------------
000|abc|bcd
001|asd|qwe
002|efg|iop

From the info_file, I will get the file1 and file2 names,

1) if key_filed is marked to Y, then the file 2 value should be specified,
2) display vaules should be the header of the output file
3) under compare if its marked to Y, then I need to compare those files if its marked to N, then those fields should be ignored .
4) And if the values match then I need to mark it to Y , else it should be marked N.
5) If all the fileds match in a record, then that should not appear in the output file.

so based on the above requirement, my output would be something like below

output
--------

seq|num1|num2
-----------
000||y
002||N

And I am working on sun OS.

Thanks
rashmi

---------- Post updated at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:12 PM ----------

Please anybody ...please help me ...it is kind of urgent...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yerruhari
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two files using awk or sed, add values in a column if their previous fields are same

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi All, I have two files file1: abc,def,ghi,5,jkl,mno pqr,stu,ghi,10,vwx,xyz cba,ust,ihg,4,cdu,oqw file2: ravi,def,kishore ramu,ust,krishna joseph,stu,mike I need two output files as follows In my above example, each row in file1 has 6 fields and each row in file2 has 3... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Compare files, different fields, output

Hi All, Looking for a quick AWK script to output some differences between two files. FILE1 device1 1.1.1.1 PINGS device1 2.2.2.2 PINGS FILE2 2862 SITE1 device1-prod 1.1.1.1 icmp - 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare fields in different files

HI I'm having some troubles to compare and permut diffrent fields indexed with another filed like the following example `: file1 1 1 2 2 3 3 file2 7 1 9 2 10 3 result------------------- (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yassinegoth
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare fields in files

Hi, I need the most efficient way of comparing the following and arriving at the result I have a file which has entries like, File1: 1|2|5|7|8|2|3|6|3|1 File2: 1|2|3|1|2|7|9|2 I need to compare the entries in these two file with those of a general file, 1|2|3|5|2|5|6|9|3|1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 fields in 2 files

I am trying to compare two files (separted by a pipe) using 2 fields (field 1,3 from fileA and 1,2 from fileB) if the two files match i want the whole record of fileA adding the extra fields left from fileB. 1. A.txt cat|floffy|12|anything|anythings cat|kitty|15|lala|lalala... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - compare 1st 15 fields of record with 20 fields

I'm trying to compare 2 files for differences in a selct number of fields. When differnces are found it will write the whole record of the second file including appending '|C' out to a delta file. Each record will have 20 fields, but only want to do comparison of 1st 15 fields. The 1st field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sljnk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and find missing fields awk

Hello experts! I have 2 files. file1 is a list file containing uniquely names. e.g.: name1 number number name2 number number name5 number number name10 number number ... file2 is a data file arbitrary containing the names of file1 in paragraphs separated by "10" e.g. name4 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported com- pression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZDIFF(1)