Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix Shell Script to prompt customer for name etc Post 302464509 by zaxxon on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 10:37:16 AM
Old 10-20-2010
When someone enters the information, it should not be lost when the script terminates. So you will have to write the information on harddisk in just a plain text file. Best would be to use some symbol as separator to keep the fields separated. One line will represent one data set of a customer.

Code:
DATFILE=./customer.dat

echo "Enter your name:> \c"
read name

echo "Enter....

echo "$name:$age:$address:$phone" >> $DATFILE

After you're done with it, cat the customer.dat to see it's contents.

Next step will be to think about how you will retrieve this info stored in that text file - there are several options how to do that. What field or string should be able to be searched for - how will the result be displayed etc. ie. should all infos be displayed or only some.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell and prompt

I want to write a shell script which will change the current shell (say from csh to bsh) and my Prompt (say my name) as desired.pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHYAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

identify a customer under a UNIX server

Like many UNIX users, there is a small team that is connected to UNIX (under the same UNIX user) via putty from a Windows PC. Is there a way, once under UNIX, to know the address of the originating computer or anything that can differentiate initial users ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popescu1954
7 Replies

3. AIX

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo in alias for Unix C-Shell Prompt

Hi, I want to set Unix prompt in C-Shell which required the break new line using alias. Ex. hostname : username : %> Now, it will be setup in .login file with alias alias cd 'cd \!* | set prompt="`hostname` : $USER : %>"' I'm unable to parse echo command or break which I can get %>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to prompt customer for name etc

How do I create a shell script called 'custinfo' to prompt a customer to enter and display back the following: name, age, address, phone number, product, price range. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQLScript
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script to prompt customer for name etc

reposting How do I create a shell script called 'custinfo' to prompt a customer to enter and display back the following: name, age, address, phone number, product, price range. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQLScript
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Unix shell script to open Windows command prompt (cmd)

Hello, I work on Windows and I use Putty to access a remote UNIX server. I am trying to build a shell script that will have as main task to open the Windows command prompt (cmd) and run some Windows commands thereafter. The commands are actually file transfer commands that will download a file... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie2785
14 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script Password Prompt

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to write a shell script that prompts the user for the password which is "lux" once the correct password... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob. shell script with prompt?

Hey Guys and Gals, Im a complete Noob to Unix. But recently have started working on a unix system for my PET/CT scanner. My scanner comes with a MOD drive for backup. I would like to back up to USB (its alot cheaper). But the only way to do so is by manually enterin the unix commands. Id like to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TorresGXL
13 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)