Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting updating a single line by script Post 302463874 by ozum on Monday 18th of October 2010 04:27:43 PM
Old 10-18-2010
Error updating a single line by script

hi,
I'm trying to add a # to the beginning of the line where the a word is included.

and the i want to run the whole original script.

and if possible I would prefer that line would stay in the same order in the text file, the line which includes the word.

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needs to be modified - Each 5 Rows to be joined in single line with comma (,)

Hi All, I'm using the following script to produce a result: #!/bin/sh awk ' $0 ~ /\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+Interface\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+\+/ { match_str="YES"; line_cnt=0; next; } { if((line_cnt < 5) && ( match_str=="YES")) { print $0; line_cnt += 1; } else... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add a single line to middle of text file.

I've got a configuration file that is filled with xml text statements for example: <...../> <...../> <...../> <data id="java-options" value="-server -Djava.security.policy..../> <...../> <...../> <...../> I want to write a korn shell script that will go to this specific line and add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script execution with a variable in a single line

Let a script needs a variable to execute. For example if i run ./test.sh then it needs a variable as there is a <STDIN> in the script. I want to execute it as in command line. Let test.sh requires a variable name $number I want to execute it by >test number <enter> how is it possible? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoeb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, perl Script for processing a single line text file

I need a script to process a huge single line text file: The sample of the text is: "forward_inline_item": "Inline", "options_region_Australia": "Australia", "server_event_err_msg": "There was an error attempting to save", "Token": "Yes", "family": "Family","pwd_login_tab": "Enter Your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmsadiq
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing single line in html file in perl script

Hi Folks, It is regarding the perl scripting. I have an html file(many files) which contains the below line in the body tag. <body> <P><STRONG><FONT face="comic sans ms,cursive,sans-serif"><EM>Hello</EM></FONT></STRONG></P> </body> Now I want to read that html file through perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file.....

Hey guy's.... I new here, But im working on a school project, and I am not really good at programming. In fact, this is the only programming class that I need because programming is not what I am majoring in. But I have everything done in this shell script except for this last part..... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating value from new last line of tempfile

Heyas A variable within a loop doesnt get updated - eventhough the 'inputfile' changes. I have a tempfile ($TMP.playstatus), which contains this data: 0.11 M-A: 0.000 fd= 0 aq= 4KB vq= 0KB sq= 0B f=0/0 0.14 M-A: 0.000 fd= 0 aq= 4KB vq= 0KB sq= 0B f=0/0 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. If the init script file does not exist, the script tries to use legacy actions. If there is no suitable legacy action found and COMMAND is one of actions specified in LSB Core Specification, input is redirected to the systemctl. Otherwise the command fails with return code 2. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
chkconfig(8), ntsysv(8), systemd(1), systemctl(8), systemd.service(5) Jan 2006 service(8)