Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell advanced syntax?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell advanced syntax? Post 302463834 by Scrutinizer on Monday 18th of October 2010 02:28:22 PM
Old 10-18-2010
Your quite right Alister, however I suspect my interpretation is what the author of the script intended to write. Otherwise there is no logic to the error message and the exit statement. This illustrates how easily these logical ANDs and ORs get misinterpreted. That is precisely why I dislike them especially when there is a x && y || z concoction..

--edit--
Actually I think I was correct after all:
If the test fails then the statement after the && does not get executed since the left side is false. And then the part after the || gets excecuted since its left side was false and also the export will never fail, so that will not trigger the right side of the or.

OK, only now I read your added remark to your post. Probably all of us are right then Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-18-2010 at 03:42 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with a shell syntax

I have a variable named "xyz" Now what will the below snippet mean: if ( ${?xyz} ) then .... endif What does ? signify here. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell syntax

I'm having simple question here, and what's the different here? What is the "x" for? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redstone
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax of c shell

i have this program in bash shell: #!/bin/bash array=(20 20 20 20 20) i=0 j=0 awk '/%/ {print $3}' try.txt| while (read s) arr=$s i=`expr $i + 1` echo "$i" end how can i convert this into c shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video

Where can I download the VTC - Unix Shell Scripting Advanced complete video. I don't know in which thread I should post this question.Plz help me out, or just tell me the link in the reply to this post. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell variables advanced

Hi all, i have more questions but its all about variables so lets begin 1st, is possible to list all variables ? Command env display only shell variables, but what if i declared another variable? Command set display more variables but not defined by me. 2nd, what difference is between set... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced error handling in shell scripts

Hi all I've got a question regarding error handling in shell scripts. My background is mainly object oriented programming languages, but for a year or so I've been doing more and more (bash) shell scripting (which I quite enjoy by the way). To handle errors in my scripts I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Trouble with Advanced Shell Programming

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a hands on project. We are creating a script for a corporate phone list. The project I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahBelle7858
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help to convert syntax to shell

Hi Folks - I need help converting a piece of code from batch to bash. Here is the code: FOR /f "eol=; tokens=1,2,3,4 delims=, " %%i in (Update_Subvars.txt) do ( ECHO alter database %%i.%%j set variable %%k %%l; ) What it's doing is retrieving the values from this file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error C shell

Hello, I have a newbe syntax error but I cant find it syntax error: unexpected end of file #!/bin/csh # pe request #$ -pe mpi_16 32 #### 16 core : 'mpi_16 16' || 24 core : 'mpi_24 24 ' # our Job name #$ -N test2MD #$ -S /bin/sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dulceC
1 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - Compares two files and displays the differences in a side-by-side format SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-l | -s] [-w number] [-o output_file] file1 file2 The sdiff command reads file1 and file2, uses diff to compare them, and writes the results to standard output in a side-by-side format. OPTIONS
Displays only the left side when lines are identical. Creates a third file, output_file, by a controlled interactive line-by-line merging of file1 and file2. The following subcommands govern the creation of this file: Adds the left side to output_file. Adds the right side to output_file. Stops displaying identical lines. Begins displaying identical lines. Enters ed with the left side, the right side, both sides, or an empty file, respectively. Each time you exit from ed, sdiff writes the resulting edited file to the end of output_file. If you fail to save the changes before exiting, sdiff writes the initial input to output_file. Exits the interactive session. Suppresses display of identical lines. Sets the width of the output line to number (130 characters by default). DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command displays each line of the two files with a series of spaces between them if the lines are identical, a < (left angle bracket) in the field of spaces if the line only exists in file1, a > (right angle bracket) if the line only exists in file2, and a | (ver- tical bar) for lines that are different. When you specify the -o option, sdiff produces a third file by merging file1 and file2 according to your instructions. Note that the sdiff command invokes the diff -b command to compare two input files. The -b option causes the diff command to ignore trail- ing spaces, tab characters, and consider other strings of spaces as equal. EXAMPLES
To print a comparison of two files, enter: sdiff chap1.bak chap1 This displays a side-by-side listing that compares each line of chap1.bak and chap1. To display only the lines that differ, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 chap1.bak chap1 This displays the differences at the tty. The -w 80 sets page width to 80 columns. The -s option tells sdiff not to display lines that are identical in both files. To selectively combine parts of two files, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 -o chap1.combo chap1.bak chap1 This combines chap1.bak and chap1 into a new file called chap1.combo. For each group of differing lines, sdiff asks you which group to keep or whether you want to edit them using ed. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), ed(1) sdiff(1)