Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers script to search patterns inside list of files Post 302463831 by dr46014 on Monday 18th of October 2010 02:22:37 PM
Old 10-18-2010
script to search patterns inside list of files

>testfile

Code:
while read x
do
if [ `grep -c abc.dml $x` -ne 0 ] then
echo $x >> testfile
else
fi
if [ `grep -c xyz.dml $x` -ne 0 ] then
echo $x >> testfile
else
fi
done < list_of_files

is there any efficient way to search abc.dml and xyz.dml ?

Last edited by Scott; 10-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to search files efficiently using patterns

hi friens, :) if i need to find files with extension .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a script variable in awk search patterns

Hi all, In a script like : job_date=.... ls -l 2>/dev/null | awk -v var =$job_date ' /Name\.Version\.+\.xml$/ { How can i include a script variable job_date store in "var" in the pattern "/Name\.Version\.+\.xml$/" Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best way to search for patterns in huge text files

I have the following situation: a text file with 50000 string patterns: abc2344536 gvk6575556 klo6575556 .... and 3 text files each with more than 1 million lines: ... 000000 abc2344536 46575 0000 000000 abc2344536 46575 4444 000000 abc2344555 46575 1234 ... I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to read two files, search for patterns and store the output in third file

hello i have two files temp.txt and temp_unique.text the second file consists the unique fields from the temp.txt file the strings stored are in the following form 4,4 17,12 15,65 4,4 14,41 15,65 65,89 1254,1298i'm able to run the following script to get the total count of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
3 Replies

5. SuSE

Search all files based on first and in all listed files search the second patterns

Hello Linux Masters, I am not a linux expert therefore i need help from linux gurus. Well i have a requirement where i need to search all files based on first patterns and after seraching all files then serach second pattern in all files which i have extracted based on first pattern.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Black-Linux
1 Replies

6. Programming

Is it possible to change search inside .pdf or .doc files?

the titele was wrong ... the true one is: Is it possible to search words inside .pdf or .doc files? is it possible if i changed the word into binary combination:eek:? and this way is super too hyper huge of greatest codes i ever seen:D to read only 1 word so is there any other ways:confused:? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns in thousands of files

Hi All, I want to search for a certain string in thousands of files and these files are distributed over different directories created daily. For that I created a small script in bash but while running it I am getting the below error: /ms.sh: xrealloc: subst.c:5173: cannot allocate... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] List Files With Multiple Name Patterns

Hi, We have created a script that would accept the an indicator as a parameter and archive files present in a directory. The indicator would drive what the name pattern of the files to be archived should be. If the indicator is 1, then the pattern to look out for is FACT*. If the indicator is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script

Hi Bigshots, I have a pattern file with two columns. I have another data file. If column 1 in the pattern file appears as the 4th column in the data file, I need to replace it (4th column of data file) with column 2 of the pattern file. If the pattern is found in any other column, it should not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
6 Replies

10. Programming

Search or find a element inside list python

I have a list as follows: From this i need to grep the element using keyword as "primary" and return output as 12:13-internet-wifi-primary i used as follows if (i <= (len(system_info))): ss = system_info print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)