Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Block size in listing files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Block size in listing files Post 302463527 by shahnazurs on Sunday 17th of October 2010 10:56:27 PM
Old 10-17-2010
Thank you.

Code:
/home/asla>type ls
ls is a tracked alias for /usr/bin/ls

---------- Post updated at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:25 AM ----------

also there is no alias

Code:
/home/asla>alias ls
ls: alias not found

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files in a directory in bases of size

Hi , I want to list all files in the order of size . Just want to know which files occupies more size and which occupies less size . Is it possible with ls command ? :) Thanks, Arun. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

listing files excluding files from control file

I have a directory named Project.I have a control file which contains valid list of files.I would like list the files from directory Project which contains files other than listed in the control file. Sample control file: TEST SEND SFFFILE CONTL The directory contains followign... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name.. I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finishing a bash script for listing subfolder by size in a large folder

Greetings everyone. I have seen that you do wonders here. I have a large folder on a Ubuntu linux. Organization main folder, inside 20 000 subfolders, and inside those subolders many other like 5-6 folders and files. I am interested to create an output to a txt file under the bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing the file name and no of records in each files for the files created on a specific day

Hi, I want to display the file names and the record count for the files in the 2nd column for the files created today. i have written the below command which is listing the file names. but while piping the above command to the wc -l command its not working for me. ls -l... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory listing in the order of size

I want to display directory listing in the order of size. I do not have -S option in my version of UNIX. So I wrote a simple script. But it takes "| sort -n -k5,5" part as file names. Any suggestion? #!/bin/ksh cmd='ls -l *.TXT | sort -n -k 5,5' set -x $cmd return 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
7 Replies
alias(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          alias(1)

NAME
alias, unalias - create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand for a command or series of commands SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/alias [ alias-name [ = string...]] /usr/bin/unalias alias-name... /usr/bin/unalias -a csh alias [ name [def]] unalias pattern ksh alias [-tx] [ name [ = value]...] unalias name... unalias [-a] DESCRIPTION
The alias and unalias utilities create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand term for a command or series of commands, with different func- tionality in the C-shell and Korn shell environments. /usr/bin/alias The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as specified by this document, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility envi- ronment invoked by the shell. /usr/bin/unalias The unalias utility removes the definition for each alias name specified. The aliases are removed from the current shell execution environ- ment. The -a option removes all alias definitions from the current execution environment. csh alias assigns def to the alias name. The assigned def is a list of words that may contain escaped history-substitution metasyntax. name is not allowed to be alias or unalias. If def is omitted, the alias name is displayed along with its current definition. If both name and def are omitted, all aliases are displayed. Because of implementation restrictions, an alias definition must have been entered on a previous command line before it can be used. unalias discards aliases that match (filename substitution) pattern. All aliases may be removed by `unalias *'. ksh alias with no arguments prints the list of aliases in the form name=value on standard output. An alias is defined for each name whose value is given. A trailing space in value causes the next word to be checked for alias substitution. The -t flag is used to set and list tracked aliases. The value of a tracked alias is the full pathname corresponding to the given name. The value becomes undefined when the value of PATH is reset but the aliases remained tracked. Without the -t flag, for each name in the argument list for which no value is given, the name and value of the alias is printed. The -x flag is used to set or print exported aliases. An exported alias is defined for scripts invoked by name. The exit status is non-zero if a name is given, but no value, and no alias has been defined for the name. The aliases given by the list of names may be removed from the alias list with unalias. OPTIONS
The following option is supported by unalias: -a Removes all alias definitions from the current shell execution environment. ksh The following option is supported by alias: -t Sets and lists tracked aliases. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: alias alias-name Write the alias definition to standard output. unalias alias-name The name of an alias to be removed. alias-name=string Assign the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no operands are given, all alias definitions will be written to standard output. OUTPUT
The format for displaying aliases (when no operands or only name operands are specified) is: "%s=%s " name, value The value string will be written with appropriate quoting so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Modifying a command's output This example specifies that the output of the ls utility is columnated and more annotated: example% alias ls="ls -CF" Example 2: Repeating previous entries in the command history file This example creates a simple "redo" command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: example% alias r='fc -s' Example 3: Specifying a command's output options This example provides that the du utility summarize disk output in units of 1024 bytes: example% alias du=du -k Example 4: Dealing with an argument that is itself an alias name This example sets up the nohup utility so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: example% alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of alias and unalias: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. alias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. unalias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not represent a valid alias definition, or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 alias(1)