Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Categorisation of fonts
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Categorisation of fonts Post 302463411 by fpmurphy on Sunday 17th of October 2010 10:16:31 AM
Old 10-17-2010
Quote:
So one could have categorisation by periods, such as Modern > Urban > Tattoo to give all styles of fonts commonly associated with tattoos.
I don't think this is how font designers or the majority of font users think of fonts. They classify fonts in terms of font attributes. For example, look at the Font Factory catagories.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer fonts

Hi, I have a Barcode printer. It's defined as a remote printer on the system. The /etc/lp/interface/<printer> file is printing has a part that enables Hebrew printing. For some reason the Printer is printing in a very small font. I'll attach the interface file: #!/usr/bin/sh # /* @(#)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
3 Replies

2. Linux

Installing new fonts

Hi All, I'm running RH 7.3 and wish to install new fonts on the box ? What are the steps in downloading and installing new fonts ? Thanks, KENT (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kxchen_home
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fonts?

NEWBIE HERE...by default, where are the font files located (ttf's) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geek01
1 Replies

4. Solaris

CDE Fonts

Hi gurus, Interesting little problem here. IVe got an Xmanager installed on my PC. I use it to connect to the DTlogin / CDE sessions I have running on a number of solaris servers. If I connect to server A, I get the login server, which I log into as root, I then start a terminal session,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Fonts on SunOS 5.6

I work in a SunOS server. I want to check which is the default font. Actually I need to check which font is using right now in Terminal and how to change it. Please help me suggesting the command set ---------- Post updated 08-23-09 at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-22-09 at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb
5 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Question about X fonts

Hi all! Why the cyrillic fonts which are inside the application window (Openwindows, CDE) displays correct, and the cyrillic font which are top of window (CaptionBar) displays not correct? This is caption of window. !#*?":"^& (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing fonts with Acroread

Hello I am trying to print pdf on a solaris machine. The acroread works but the font are too big. I am printing on a HP printer. Can anyone advise on how to change the font size, and margins size? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lillyt2006
5 Replies
PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)

NAME
PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont - base font class METHODS
$font = PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont->new $pdf, $name Returns a font resource object. $font = PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont->new_api $api, $name Returns a font resource object. This method is different from 'new' that it needs an PDF::API2-object rather than a Text::PDF::File-object. $descriptor = $font->descrByData() Returns the fonts FontDescriptor key-structure based on the fonts data. FONT-MANAGEMENT RELATED METHODS $name = $font->fontname() Returns the fonts name (aka. display-name). $name = $font->altname() Returns the fonts alternative-name (aka. windows-name for a postscript font). $name = $font->subname() Returns the fonts subname (aka. font-variant, schriftschnitt). $name = $font->apiname() Returns the fonts name to be used internally (should be equal to $font->name). $issymbol = $font->issymbol() Returns the fonts symbol flag. $iscff = $font->iscff() Returns the fonts compact-font-format flag. TYPOGRAPHY RELATED METHODS
($llx, $lly, $urx, $ury) = $font->fontbbox() Returns the fonts bounding-box. $capheight = $font->capheight() Returns the fonts capheight value. $xheight = $font->xheight() Returns the fonts xheight value. $missingwidth = $font->missingwidth() Returns the fonts missingwidth value. $maxwidth = $font->maxwidth() Returns the fonts maxwidth value. $avgwidth = $font->avgwidth() Returns the fonts avgwidth value. $flags = $font->flags() Returns the fonts flags value. $stemv = $font->stemv() Returns the fonts stemv value. $stemh = $font->stemh() Returns the fonts stemh value. $italicangle = $font->italicangle() Returns the fonts italicangle value. $isfixedpitch = $font->isfixedpitch() Returns the fonts isfixedpitch flag. $underlineposition = $font->underlineposition() Returns the fonts underlineposition value. $underlinethickness = $font->underlinethickness() Returns the fonts underlinethickness value. $ascender = $font->ascender() Returns the fonts ascender value. $descender = $font->descender() Returns the fonts descender value. GLYPH RELATED METHODS
@names = $font->glyphNames() Returns the defined glyph-names of the font. $glNum = $font->glyphNum() Returns the number of defined glyph-names of the font. $uni = $font->uniByGlyph $char Returns the unicode by glyph-name. $uni = $font->uniByEnc $char Returns the unicode by the fonts encoding map. $uni = $font->uniByMap $char Returns the unicode by the fonts default map. $char = $font->encByGlyph $glyph Returns the character by the given glyph-name of the fonts encoding map. $char = $font->encByUni $uni Returns the character by the given unicode of the fonts encoding map. $char = $font->mapByGlyph $glyph Returns the character by the given glyph-name of the fonts default map. $char = $font->mapByUni $uni Returns the character by the given unicode of the fonts default map. $name = $font->glyphByUni $unicode Returns the glyphs name by the fonts unicode map. BEWARE: non-standard glyph-names are mapped onto the ms-symbol area(0xF000). $name = $font->glyphByEnc $char Returns the glyphs name by the fonts encoding map. $name = $font->glyphByMap $char Returns the glyphs name by the fonts default map. $width = $font->wxByGlyph $glyph Returns the glyphs width. $width = $font->wxByUni $uni Returns the unicodes width. $width = $font->wxByEnc $char Returns the characters width based on the current encoding. $width = $font->wxByMap $char Returns the characters width based on the fonts default encoding. $wd = $font->width $text Returns the width of $text as if it were at size 1. BEWARE: works only correctly if a proper perl-string is used either in native or utf8 format (check utf8-flag). @widths = $font->width_array $text Returns the widths of the words in $text as if they were at size 1. STRING METHODS
$utf8string = $font->utfByStr $string Returns the utf8-string from string based on the fonts encoding map. $string = $font->strByUtf $utf8string Returns the encoded string from utf8-string based on the fonts encoding map. $pdfstring = $font->textByStr $text Returns a properly formatted representation of $text for use in the PDF. AUTHOR
Alfred Reibenschuh. perl v5.14.2 2014-03-09 PDF::API2::Resource::BaseFont(3pm)