Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? STILL can't buy a Linux PC easily Post 302463394 by KenJackson on Sunday 17th of October 2010 09:01:46 AM
Old 10-17-2010
STILL can't buy a Linux PC easily

A few years ago, Dell announced they were selling PCs with Linux (Ubuntu) preinstalled or with no OS installed. It was about time! So a couple years ago I bought the Inspiron 1525n laptop that I'm typing this on with Ubuntu preinstalled. Yea! (Though I immediately wiped Ubuntu and installed Fedora--sorry.)

So where do we stand today? Is the market free? Do we have a selection of OSes to choose from just as we do for cars, furniture, books, banks, and grocery stores?

No.

The Dell website offers only Windows under Home and Home Office. On the Enterprise pages they offer--count 'em--fourteen varieties of Windows! Oh, yeah, they do also list these:
Quote:
Ubuntu® Linux® (select countries)
nSeries FreeDOSTM
What's a select country? Is my country (USA) among the lucky select countries? Apparently not. I tried to customize a PC but only Windows choices were in the OS selection category, not Linux or FreeDOS either for that matter.

So why do I still not have the freedom to buy a Linux PC readily off the shelf?

The last 5 or so new PCs I've bought were pieces that I put together (except for this laptop). I sort prefer that, but I would like the option to just buy something ready-to-go. And I certainly would like to be able to tell friends how they can experience Linux without installing it. (Yeah, a couple have booted live CDs--that's at least something.)

How would you like it if GM was the only car company you could buy a car from? Fourteen GM cars to choose from should cover the market. You don't need any more choices.

Does anyone else want a free OS market?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see all the subdirectories easily?

Suppose I have two directories a and b. Each directory has a few subdirectories, a1 a2 a3 and b1, b2, b3 respectively. Using ls, I can see a and b. Then I need cd a, ls, cd ../b, ls to see all the subdirectories. How to see all the directories and subdirectories easily, say using just one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
2 Replies

2. Fedora

Unix which can easily boot from a DVD

Hi, Really sorry if this is in the wrong place etc but I really need some big time newbie help :o I am a recent Maths graduate and have been invited to a 4 day job interview/assessment where I will be taught and tested on the following: "Fedora UNIX, Bash Scripting". Having no experience... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rich147
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easily search file and get line - little problem

hi, file1.txt: cell101 1 20.24.1.1 10 cell101 2 20.24.1.2 20 cell101 3 20.24.1.3 30 cell327 1 20.24.1.4 40 cell327 2 20.24.1.5 50 cell327 3 20.24.1.5 60 ... file2.txt: cell101 1 cell327 1 cell327 3 ... according to values in file2.txt, the script should search lines and get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
7 Replies

4. Linux

How to easily identify socket given a PID on Linux?

I have the PID of a process running on Linux mymac 2.6.18-417.el5 #1 SMP Sat Nov 19 14:54:59 EST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I need to get the ip & port i.e socket details of the given PID (32752). Based on a suggestion on my other thread i tried bash-3.2$ netstat -anpt | grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
i8kctl(1)							     Utilities								 i8kctl(1)

NAME
I8kctl, i8kfan - Utility to access SMM BIOS on Dell Inspiron laptops SYNTAX
i8kctl [<command> [<args>]] i8kfan [<left> [<right>]] DESCRIPTION
The i8kctl utility provides a command-line interface to the i8k kernel driver for Dell Inspiron laptops. When invoked without arguments the program reports the same information which can be read from the /proc/i8k file: 1. i8k format version 2. bios version 3. machine id 4. cpu temperature 5. left fan status 6. right fan status 7. left fan speed 8. right fan speed 9. ac power status 10. fn buttons status The optional command argument can be used to select only one of the above items. Command can be: version, bios, id, temp, fan, speed, ac and fn. Examples: $ i8kctl 1.0 A17 B5W123K 52 2 1 8040 6420 1 2 $ i8kctl temp 52 $ i8kctl fan 2 1 The fan command can accept two optional parameters which specify the new fan state for left and right fans. The state parameter can be: 0 turn the fan off 1 set low speed 2 set high speed - don't change the state of this fan For example the command: $ i8kctl fan - 2 sets the right fan to high speed and leaves the left unchanged. It should be noted that if the i8kmon(1) daemon is used to control the fans, setting the speed with i8kfan is pointless since the daemon will override the speed with its own value. Invoking i8kctl as i8kfan is the same as invoking the program with the fan option: $ i8kctl fan 1 2 1 2 $ i8kfan 1 2 1 2 FILES
/proc/i8k AUTHORS
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org> COPYRIGHT
i8kctl and all the i8kutils programs , scripts and other files are distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'. SEE ALSO
i8kmon(1), i8kbuttons(1) Massimo Dal Zotto 18 March 2002 i8kctl(1)