Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple script with while loop getting problem Post 302463158 by rajkumar_g on Saturday 16th of October 2010 02:45:44 AM
Old 10-16-2010
simple script with while loop getting problem

Hello forum memebers.

can you correct the simple while program.

Code:
#! /bin/ksh
count=10
while [ $count -le 10 ]
do
   echo $count
   count='expr$count-1'
done

I think it will print 10 to 1 numbers but it running for indefinite times.

Last edited by Scott; 10-16-2010 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple shell script problem

hi all. i have a little problem. im basically reading input from the user from the keyboard into the variable "phonenumber". I want to do a little error check to check if the user doesnt enter anything in for the value phonenumber. i had this: read phonenumber if then ..... else ........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script loop question

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, hopefully this is an easy one. I want to create a loop to run a simple performance monitor like vmstat and record it to a file, but have very limited scripting skills (obviously). Starting with this... date >> /var/log/perfmon.log vmstat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattlock73
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash for loop problem

I'm just trying to make a script that runs in command line to echo each line in a text file. Everything i found on google is telling me to do it like this but when I run it it just echos removethese.txt and thats it. Anyone know what im doing wrong? for i in removethese.txt; do echo $i; done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script problem

Hi everyone - I am sure this is a really simple problem but I'm a total noob at Linux scripting: I wanted to create a script that allows me to compare the current week number to the contents of a text file in my home directory: VAR1='date +%V' VAR2='cat /home/fred/file.txt' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FiniteRed
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

one simple shell script problem

Hi everyone, I am facing to one shell script problem, which is as following Write a shell script that: Takes a number of arguments. For each argument, print out all files in the current directory that contain this substring in their name. I know I need to use grep for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaloovia
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple LOOP script help

I am trying to create a simple ksh loop script. What I've pasted below is not working. Any help is appreciated. typeset -i count typeset -i tcount count=0 tcount=0 while $tcount >= 11 do print "\$count is $count" pwd ls -l sleep 30 $(( $tcount = $count + 1 )) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: musikman65
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while-loop problem

Maybe because its Friday, but I can't get a simple while loop to work! #!bin/bash i=0 while do echo "Hello" ((i++)) done (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple while loop script to check a connection

Hi, I am completely new to shell scripting. Basically I am wanting to create a simple while loop script to check if a network connection is available from 'netstat -a' and if its present then output a character to the serial port. I think i am nearly there.. but need some assistance.. this is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zippyzip
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple script not working- for loop

Hi all, Please guide me writing this script Follwing is the file which I have created, which contains the files to be copied. cat system1-dr.txt /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/vfstab /etc/profile /etc/default/init /etc/shells /etc/dfs/dfstab /etc/dfs/sharetab... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple bash script involving a loop

Dear unix wizards, I'd be very grateful for your help with the following. I have a hypothetical file (file.txt) with three columns: 111 4 0.01 112 3 0.02 113 2 0.03 114 1 0.04 115 1 0.06 116 2 0.02 117 3 0.01 118 4 0.05 Column 2 consists of pairs of integers from 1 to 4 (each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
5 Replies
stack(n)							Tcl Data Structures							  stack(n)

NAME
stack - Create and manipulate stack objects SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require struct ?1.2.1? stackName option ?arg arg ...? stackName clear stackName destroy stackName peek ?count? stackName pop ?count? stackName push item ?item ...? stackName size DESCRIPTION
The ::struct::stack command creates a new stack object with an associated global Tcl command whose name is stackName. This command may be used to invoke various operations on the stack. It has the following general form: stackName option ?arg arg ...? Option and the args determine the exact behavior of the command. The following commands are possible for stack objects: stackName clear Remove all items from the stack. stackName destroy Destroy the stack, including its storage space and associated command. stackName peek ?count? Return the top count items of the stack, without removing them from the stack. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items on the stack, this command will return count empty strings. stackName pop ?count? Return the top count items of the stack, and remove them from the stack. If count is not specified, it defaults to 1. If count is 1, the result is a simple string; otherwise, it is a list. If specified, count must be greater than or equal to 1. If there are no items on the stack, this command will return count empty strings. stackName push item ?item ...? Push the item or items specified onto the stack. If more than one item is given, they will be pushed in the order they are listed. stackName size Return the number of items on the stack. KEYWORDS
queue, matrix, tree, graph struct 1.2.1 stack(n)