Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Can I use 2 different id's in .netrc for same dest. machine. Post 302463054 by wangotango on Friday 15th of October 2010 02:46:27 PM
Old 10-15-2010
Can I use 2 different id's in .netrc for same dest. machine.

I have 2 different id's for an ftp destination. Each id handles files differently on the destinations end. Is it possible to have one destination machine and assign an alias name for each id. The .netrc file doesn't allow this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.netrc multiple ftp jobs to same machine

I have an ftp user, which has been setup to run ftp jobs to a specific machine (different jobs). for the first job i created .netrc in the ftp users home directory and added the appropriate commands machine FTPBOX01 login user1 password xxx macdef init etc etc get file bye I use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in .netrc

Hi, I would like to ask if the .netrc file should really be stored/placed in the /home/<userid> directory or in the home directory indicated by the uinfo command? I am currently having problems with a .netrc file which is owned by a id which has it's home directory pointed to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edu_escandor
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.netrc file

hello, I am trying to write an automated script to transfer multiple files to another solaris 5.8 box. I am using the #! /bin/bash prompt and I am having trouble finding/creating the .netrc login file. I googled and the only info I got was that I should create/find it in my home directory. I went... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using .netrc

Hi friends, Can we use the file .netrc for automating ftp from a perl script ? and if so then how do i go about it ? can i have a sample script for this ? thanks in advance Veera (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Netrc for Linux

What is the proper format for configuring the netrc file for linux. On Solaris it was: Machine <machinename> login Domain\\login password passwordname (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync with --link-dest doesn't create hard links

I have been experimenting with rsync as a scriptable backup option, reading various example and tips pages, including Time Machine for every Unix out there - IMHO That page seems to describe the exact behavior I want: The ability to make a "full backup" snapshot regularly, but with rsync... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with macdef (.netrc)

Am trying a shell script for ftp process on Solaris I am trying to mget files to Destination server: myserverxxx1 folder : /backup/dumps/SERVER-1backup/afterbatch From Source server: SERVER-1 folder : /dumps/daily/backupafterbatch/Thu21Oct_04:22:37 depending on the date the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyboy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

makefile sourc and dest are in different directory

Hi, in makefile, if the sourc and dest in different directory, no matter the source file changed or not, it seems the dest always been build, how do you resolve this? Thanks. peter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laopi
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with rsync using link-dest

Hi, I'm trying to keep backups of my home directory (i.e. back it up every day or so) using rsync with link-dest. This is how I do it, rsync -avh --delete --link-dest=/media/disk/oldbackup/ /home/user/ /media/disk/newbackup rm -f /media/disk/oldbackup ln -s newbackup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using rsync --link-dest pointing to a remote server

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to reference a remote file using the rsync --link-dest parameter. Here is the code I have so far: # # FILESERVER INCREMENTAL BACKUP SCRIPT # # Remove previous log file rm /usr/local/bin/rsync-incremental.log # Set daily variables DAY0=`date -I`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orionizer
6 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)