Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy a file to a directory? Post 302462967 by vbe on Friday 15th of October 2010 11:29:18 AM
Old 10-15-2010
I like you answer very much! You beat me here...
I tried hard not to give a straight solution not knowing if this (looks very much like) is homework but to help the person to search using some deduction... Your explanation on PWD is quite challenging for someone wanting effortless solution to be given...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file to a directory by sequence

Hi I am new in unix and look for help in urgent. I have a list of data files that located in a directory, and need to copy to another directory for loading. The condition here is, the list of data files has to be copy over by sequence, and if there is no file in targetted directory already. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fooky
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it? Thanks In advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreethik
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy a file to a directory ,where file and dir are sent as args to a function?

Hi all, I wanted to know how i can copy a file to a directory and then verify if that file is completely copied or not? Now the issues here is that the dir and the source file are to be sent as arguments to a function( this function should actually copy the files to a dir, then check if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file from one directory to another

Hi All, I am in the directory a/b/processed the files in this directories are -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 8 chandantest.txt_08082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 220 Aug 7 chandantest.txt_07082008 -rw-r--r-- 1 owb users 330 Aug 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandancsc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the latest file to a directory

Hi Team, I wish to copy the latest file of pattern "MyFile*" to some other location. I need to do all the operation in a single command separated by |. ls -rt <MyFile*> | tail -1 | <copy command>. How can I do? Please help me. Thanks, Kanda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy file to another directory..

Hi Everybody, i want a samll help to write a script. i had source location with :/user/bin (bin contains subdirectories with like names emails etc and had several files in each subdirectory) and target location with :/usr/scripts (having same subdirectories names and had some files)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file after searching in a directory

Hi, I am looking for an answer for following senario: I have a text file (base.txt) which consist list of files to be searched like: base.txt abc.txt def.txt fgh.txt Now i am going to search all the listed files in another directory after reading them one by one, once i found the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

8. Programming

how to copy file to a directory

Hello, I've been spending a lot of hours trying to imitate cp copying a file to a directory. cp I just can't seem to write to a specified directory, it only creates a copy on the current directory. any hints/tips will help! Thanks! here's the code i've been trying to manipulate: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - match file name and copy to Directory

I am trying to sort the following files from folder Bag to Apple, Cat Food, Dog Food. I can get all of the files I want into a new folder, but not sure of the best approch to get them to their final directory My Files ========== apple.1234.ext apple.1235.ext cat food 101.ext Cat Food... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtschroeder
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies
NCOPY(1)							       ncopy								  NCOPY(1)

NAME
ncopy - NetWare file copy SYNOPSIS
ncopy -V ncopy [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] file destinationfile|directory ncopy [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] file1 [ file2 ... ] directory ncopy -r [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] srcdir dstdir DESCRIPTION
With ncopy you can copy files to different locations on a single NetWare file server without generating excess network traffic. The pro- gram uses a NetWare function to do the copy rather than transferring the file across the network for both the read and write. If the last argument is a directory, ncopy will copy the source file(s) into the directory. If only two files are given and the last argu- ment is not a directory, it will copy the source file to the destination file. If the source and destination files are not on the same NetWare server (or are not on NetWare servers at all), ncopy will do a normal file copy. OPTIONS
-V Show version number and exit -v Verbose copy. Will show current file and percentage completion. -m Copy MAC resource fork. Copies MAC resource fork together with data fork. -M Copy MAC resource fork to/from non-MAC filesystem. It expects/creates resource forks in subdirectory .rsrc of each directory copied. If you want to copy files from MAC volume to .rsrc scheme, you must specify both options, -mM. It is not possible to create .rsrc direc- tory on MAC-aware volume in one step, you must first copy data to non-MAC media using ncopy -mM and then copy them back using ncopy -M. If you want to copy files from .rsrc scheme on MAC volume to real MAC multiple-forks file, you must first copy data to non-MAC filesys- tem using ncopy -M and then copy them back using ncopy -mM. -n Nice NetWare copy. Will sleep for a second between copying blocks on the NetWare server. Gives other people a chance to do some work on the NetWare server when you are copying large files. This has no effect if you are not copying on a NetWare server. -s amount Nice time slice factor. Used in conjunction with the -n option, this specifies the number of 100K blocks to copy before sleeping. Default is 10. (1 Megabyte) -p Preserve file attributes and date/time during copy. -pp Preserve file attributes, date/time and owner during copy. Name of owner is preserved, not owner ID. -t Preserve trustees during copy. Trustee name is preserved, not ID. -r Perform recursive copy. -u Perform copy only if mtime or size differs. BUGS
ncopy does not preserve long (MAC, NFS, FTAM, OS2) names during copy. SEE ALSO
ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
ncopy was written by Brian G. Reid (breid@tim.com) and Tom C. Henderson (thenderson@tim.com). Many thanks to Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) for the ncpfs and ncplib which made ncopy possible. Some further work was done by Petr Vandrovec (van- drove@vc.cvut.cz). ncopy 17/03/1996 NCOPY(1)