Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Granting user permission for public_html Post 302462964 by joker40 on Friday 15th of October 2010 11:28:24 AM
Old 10-15-2010
This is....

Hi. Thanks for replying. I have installed Debian just to play and learn about linux. My goal is to lean how to create users on linux and how to admin them. I didnt do anything more about users but added few users to the system by using command "useradd" (this i did as "root").So my users now can accees linux remotly using ssh or they can ftp into their file system. For example when users wants to create html document he will ftp into the server and it will be presented with his directory which is /home/username...Now at this point since user wants to create some .html file he will create "public_html" directory and add html file he created locally on his machine. Now at this point user wants to view this file on the web by going to this url ....http://www.servername.com/~username/file.html.....but he gets 404 error.
What can I as admin do to make it possible for user to be able to see file.html on the web?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find a file or directory under public_html

Hi there, I have a quick question about the UNIX command find, if you can help me I will appreciate it... I am trying tho find a file which is under my 'public_html' directory. As I know, I am making the command > find ~ -name filename(or directory name) to find the file or directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Granting User Access

I have two users, user1 and defaultuser. Whenever i logon to my unix session from a remote machine i log into defaultuser. Inside this "defaultuser" i have some setup files that i need to run from the other user that i have created myself i.e. "user1". The problem is even granting the ownership of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awaismalik82
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with user permission

hi everyone. iīve been burning my head for a week now with this problem and i couldnīt find a solution. iīve been looking for an answer in this forum but nothing either. so i decided to ask. the thing is, i want to create a users with permission to kill just a group of users. i know how to write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasmarin
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod for public_html ?

Hello! My web host has the public_html permission on my account set to 750. 1. Does this setting permit the world to use my submission forms (contained within contact.html and purchase_order.html)? 2. The "0" entry looks like it blocks the public from conducting all activity on my site.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texan
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User permission

Hi all, I created testuser. by following command. /usr/sbin/adduser -n test -d /disk05/collections/GET/testdata/ and then set its password by following command. passwd testuser When I login to system by testuser, it enters everything is ok. The problem is how to set permission to this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

6. AIX

Granting folder access

Hello, I need to allow a user the ability to create files in a directory that is owned by another user/group. How can I do this? Thank you. AIX version: 5.3.0.0 ~David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

granting permission to file/directory to a specific user

hello, I would like to grant full access to a directory which is owned by root and the web application that created it. I have though of adding the permission to the whole world, but for security reason I would like to grant it to one more user. I have tried this 'chmod -U newUser+wrx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run123
2 Replies

8. Web Development

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] directs to /var/www not ~/public_html

Hi all, Exactly like my title says. I am learning PHP and MySQL and I used to use /var/www/ to host (contain or store) my files (.htm/.php) for testing. I could configure, finally, apache2 to use ~/public_html instead. Now I when I tried to use $_SERVER it still directs (I used echo to show... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Granting access to specific user on a 700 file

Hello, I have a a directory dir1 with permissions 700 (yes wantedly) and is owned by user1:group1 rwx------ user1 group1 dir1I need to give permissions to user2 (belongs to group2) on dir1 and its files, so I granted the permissions using setfacl ; instead of adding the user to groups and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies
HTDIGEST(1)							     htdigest							       HTDIGEST(1)

NAME
htdigest - manage user files for digest authentication SYNOPSIS
htdigest [ -c ] passwdfile realm username SUMMARY
htdigest is used to create and update the flat-files used to store usernames, realm and password for digest authentication of HTTP users. Resources available from the Apache HTTP server can be restricted to just the users listed in the files created by htdigest. This manual page only lists the command line arguments. For details of the directives necessary to configure digest authentication in httpd see the Apache manual, which is part of the Apache distribution or can be found at http://httpd.apache.org/. OPTIONS
-c Create the passwdfile. If passwdfile already exists, it is deleted first. passwdfile Name of the file to contain the username, realm and password. If -c is given, this file is created if it does not already exist, or deleted and recreated if it does exist. realm The realm name to which the user name belongs. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2617#section-3.2.1 for more details. username The user name to create or update in passwdfile. If username does not exist is this file, an entry is added. If it does exist, the password is changed. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
This program is not safe as a setuid executable. Do not make it setuid. Apache HTTP Server 2012-07-19 HTDIGEST(1)