Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Editing System Preference in Terminal Post 302462703 by Jalaska13 on Thursday 14th of October 2010 10:41:18 PM
Old 10-14-2010
Editing System Preference in Terminal

Mac OS X 10.6: Leopard - I'm trying to create a script that will run on its own that can edit system preferences. I've done some digging, and found that a lot of system preference options are controlled by .plist files in ~/library/preferences, /library/preferences, and /system/library/preferences. However, I have yet to figure out how to edit certain functions. Specifically:
Turn on/off file sharing
Change screen saver
And some other functions like those.

My problem is twofold: For one, I can't find the file sharing plist file, and, secondly, I can't figure out a way to edit the plist files such that it makes any difference. For example, I found the plist file for screen saver, but try as I might, I couldn't get editing it to do what I wanted. And this was using plist editor. I'd imagine that once I try to port this to command line, it'll be even harder (presumably using the defaults write command). Any suggestions?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Find file associated with GUI preference pane

The flat files associated with the GUI are very useful in scripting, like the DNS section of the network pref pane seems to be a front end for resolv.conf.. but sometimes I cannot seem to find the file associated with the GUI area so i was wondering what is an easy way to do this? I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Frustrating but simple preference question

So I am set up on a new box for work here and I have a frustrating preference issue. Whenever I hit backspace, it deletes a whole word instead of a single character. I understand that this is generally the functionality of hitting ctrl-backspace. I tried googling for a solution and dabbled... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasondj
3 Replies

4. Linux

how to perform a system check on linux via terminal

hi im new to this and i just want to learn about linux and i just wanted to know how would i be able to perform a system check to see if a directory exists. can any one help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roozis
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

adding second password to preference or an app

Hi I am new to forum and glad I found this place. I have been searching for a way to add a secondary password to a preference pane such as date/time in Unix (Ox10.4.11) or to lock an application which I found a backdoor for access when password is not available. An app I use is a internet... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: botchagalou
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

Menu system for terminal like Putty for host /ip list

Is there a way to create a menu in Gnome terminal to have a list of hosts with ip's like in Putty on Windows? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlouki01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed editing text file using the terminal

Hi, I have text file with the header like this tracking_id condition replicate FPKM XLOC_000001 alpha 1 10.3199 XLOC_000001 alpha 0 10.3686 XLOC_000001 alpha 2 15.5619 ... With the first column being genes, the second being the condition, the third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
5 Replies
gnome-power-preferences(1)					   User Commands					gnome-power-preferences(1)

NAME
gnome-power-preferences - gnome power preferences GUI SYNOPSIS
gnome-power-preferences [--help] [--verbose] DESCRIPTION
gnome-power-preferences is a GUI configuration program. It enables you to configure your preferred desktop power management policies, e.g. blank screen when lid is closed, hibernate system when battery power is low, suspend system when power button is pressed, or let CPU fre- quency dynamically adjust based on process load. Then, these policies are enforced by gnome-power-manager(1). OPTIONS
This program follows the usual command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --help Show summary of options. --verbose Show extra debugging. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching gnome-power-preferences with the display of extra debugging messages. example% gnome-power-preferences --verbose EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-power-preferences Executable for gnome power preferences GUI ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-power-manager | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-power-manager(1), gnome-power-statistics(1), attributes(5) NOTES
This manual page was written by Oliver Grawert ogra@ubuntu.com for the Debian system. Updated by Simon Zheng, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 18 Feb 2008 gnome-power-preferences(1)